CHOICE. MULTIPLE Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question. 1) By the 1830s, which of the following groups was NOT denied suffrage? 1) __D____ A) women B) blacks C) indentured servants D) white males E) Native Americans
2) In the 1820s, a two-party system was fostered by
2) _E_____ A) an increasing concern about foreign policy issues. B) the burgeoning population of the trans-Appalachian West. C) changes in the Constitution regarding the party system. D) married women gaining the right to vote. E) changes in the method of nominating and electing the president.
3) The specie circular
3) ___D___ A) declared the federal tariff unconstitutional. B) made it a federal crime to criticize the president. C) required that banknotes be accepted in payment for public land. D) required that only gold and silver coinage be accepted in payment for public land. E) ordered the relocation of the Cherokee Indians to Oklahoma.
4) Between 1824 and 1840, voter participation in elections
4) ___C___ A) declined somewhat. B) increased slightly. C) increased dramatically. D) changed little. E) declined precipitously. ****************************
5) The major issues dominating politics in the 1820s and 1830s were 5) ___D___ A) foreign affairs. B) social. C) sectional. D) economic. E) constitutional.
6) In the election of 1824, Andrew Jackson
6) __C____ A) received only limited support from slaveholding states. B) was initially viewed as the strongest candidate. C) could claim fame as a military hero. D) won a majority of electoral votes. E) found great support in the North. ******************************Review!!!!!!1
7) Which of the following individuals is incorrectly matched with his art form? 7) ___E___ A) Herman Melville-novels B) George Caleb Bingham-painting C) Nathaniel Hawthorne-novels D) Walt Whitman-poetry E) Oliver Wendell Holmes-painting **************************
8) The major significance of Jackson's national bank veto message was that it 8) ___D__ A) decisively ended the life of the national bank. B) was the first recorded presidential veto. C) was the first veto made by Jackson. D) was the first one that went beyond strictly constitutional arguments. E) failed to explain the constitutional reasons for his decision.
9) The strategic blunder made by Nicholas Biddle was
9) __D___ A) his decision to give bank loans to congressmen. B) his failure to listen to the advice of Henry Clay. C) his advocacy of large loans to immigrants. D) his decision to seek the bank's charter renewal four years early. E) his decision to confide in Henry Clay. *******************
10) The Panic of 1837 was caused by
10) __B___ A) falling agricultural prices. B) national and international economic conditions. C) renegade Native Americans. D) high protective tariffs. E) the election of Martin Van Buren.
11) The Trail of Tears refers to
11) __E___ A) the destruction of the national bank. B) passage of the "tariff of abominations." C) the nullification controversy. D) the Oregon Trail and westward expansion. E) the forced relocation of the Cherokees to Oklahoma.
12) South Carolinians protested the tariff of 1828 because
12) __D___ A) they saw it as an unfair "northern" law. B) they thought it threatened the institution of slavery. C) of their dislike of Andrew Jackson. D) tariffs determined the prices that southern agriculturalists paid for manufactured goods. E) they feared its effect on the price of cotton.
13) After 1840, the Whig Party would be most closely identified with the concept of 13) __E___ A) manhood suffrage. B) closet monarchists. C) the common man. D) a "negative liberal state." E) a "positive liberal state."
14) Which of the following men were true political and philosophical allies in the 1820s? 14) __D__ A) John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson B) Henry Clay and Andrew Jackson C) Andrew Jackson and John C. Calhoun D) John Quincy Adams and...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document