MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1) In the early 20th century, psychologists were inclined to explain motivated behavior by attributing it to ________.
A) learned responses
2) The theory stating that behaviors are motivated by the body's attempts to reduce tension from conditions such as hunger or thirst to a state of balance is ________ theory.
D) drive reduction
3) Some psychologists believe that behavior is motivated by the body's attempts to achieve a state of balance in which the body functions effectively, or ________.
4) A famed psychologist claims that motivated behaviors result from an effort to reduce tension caused by bodily needs such as hunger or thirst. This psychologist's philosophy most closely matches ________ theory.
5) Which of the following does NOT support drive-reduction theory?
A) going jogging when you are bored
B) getting something to drink when you are thirsty
C) going to sleep when you are tired
D) getting some food when you are hungry
6) Primary drives are ________.
B) based on a physiological state
C) exceptions to the drive-reduction principle
D) inﬂuenced by stimuli outside the body
7) Primary drives are ________.
A) exceptions to the drive-reduction principle
B) produced by external incentives
8) Thirst, sex, and hunger are examples of ________ drives.
9) Drives that are most strongly inﬂuenced by stimuli within the body are called ________ drives.