1. Read the handout on incorporation doctrine and write a definition of incorporation clarifying the concept of incorporation in your own words as well as explaining the role of the 14th Amendment in incorporation. I will cover this in class!
2. What are the three reasons why the liberties claimed by some people become major issues?
Give one or two examples for each reason.
3. Explain briefly how the Supreme Court has interpreted the Free Exercise and Establishment clauses.
4. What are the difficulties in using the “wall of separation” principle?
5. List and explain the circumstances when the Supreme Court has ruled that freedom of speech may be limited.
6. Define the “clear-and-present-danger test,” libel, preferred position, prior restraint, imminent danger, and symbolic speech. You may just want to put these straight onto your flashcards
7. Summarize the Supreme Court’s changing interpretations of how to protect both the due process rights of accused criminals and to preserve the safety of the community.
Define the exclusionary rule and the “good faith exception.”.
Chapter 19 Reading Outline
1. What does the book say is the pertinent question regarding civil rights?
2. What were the strategies that black leaders followed in order to obtain civil rights? Once basic rights such as voting and integration had been obtained, what issues did civil rights leaders focus on?
3. Briefly outline the steps in the NAACP’s strategy in the fight against segregated schools and indicate the success they had in the courts and in implementing desegregation.
4. What was the issue concerning desegregation vs. integration? How has this issue been resolved?
5. What were the four developments that made it possible to pass civil rights bills?
6. What accounts for the change in attitude in Congress towards civil rights issues from the 1960s to the present?
7. How has the