AP ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARGUMENTATIVE OR PERSUASIVE ESSAY
The Assignment: You are to research and compose an argumentative or persuasive essay focusing on a controversial issue (you may not write on abortion, gun control, marijuana legalization, gay marriage, or creationism/evolution). Argumentative essays enlighten your readers to the rationale behind your position on a debatable issue. However, persuasive essays not only enlighten your readers to your position on an issue, but also attempt to coerce readers to take some sort of action. You will be transforming your essay into a speech which you will present to the class.
The Prewriting Stage:
Step 1: Finding an issue
1. List possible topics
2. Select the topic in which you are most interested 3. Consider if others will be interested in it as well Step 2: Preliminary research—exploring the issue
1. Define your issue; develop your claim
2. What do you understand about it already? Brainstorm and list what you know about it. Explore your position. 3. What has been written or said about your issue by others? 4. How does your issue impact others?
5. Research the history of the issue.
6. Is your issue focused enough to be analyzed successfully? Is it so narrow that little has been written about it, or that few sill express an interest? Step 3: Considering your audience
1. How will most of your readers probably feel about his issue? 2. What do you expect them to know about it already? 3. Should you address your essay to an audience who disagrees with your position, or will you be “preaching to the choir”? Are you going to have to impact their underlying beliefs and values? Remember, you must address opposing arguments. Step 4: Reassessing your choice
1. Has your research supplied enough for you to maintain your claim? 2. Is...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document