Any Old Bag Speech Outline
Planning Sheet - Speech #1
Name: ______Shawn Anderson_______
1. Three items and bag for your Speech: • (Past) Item 1: Football Jersey (any jersey will do) • Many years of soccer building team spirit • Led to football for 7 years • Sense of team spirit • Hard work and dedication
• (Present) Item 2: My portfolio (collection with resume, achievements/ certifications, and letters of recommendation) • Collection about recent achievements/accommodations/certifications • Helped with starting business o Tie in laptop bag with current profession • Business supporting my family and future aspirations
• (Future) Item 3: Empty document frame (for future degree in biomedical technology, future family photographs, or collage of children’s and grandchildren’s future photographs ) • Can be a symbol for any possible future o Shows future degree(s) o Shows future family aspirations and members ▪ my children ▪ children’s children and so on ▪ my future with my wife
• Bag: laptop bag (current profession as a computer technician and way of supporting my family while `striving for a degree in school) • Tied in with present
2. Purpose: (Write in 1-2 sentences.)
This speech is to inform my audience about personality traits and experiences from my past, present, and future.
3. Central Idea: (Write in 1-2 sentences.)
Being that we have a new class every month, we meet new people every month. This speech will give me a chance to give an overview of my personality traits and life experiences from the past, present, and future.
4. How to make this connect with my audience: i. Write an introduction: -Good afternoon. My name is Shawn Anderson and I am here to give all of you a little background about myself. Many of us have a class full of new people every month. This makes it really hard for us to get acquainted. Being that this is the first time I have been in class with any of you, I would like to share a little bit about myself. This any old bag speech will give me a chance to give all of you an insight on my past, present, and my projected future. Along with the information, I have brought these four items that symbolize time periods in my life. These periods in my life are a direct result of hard work and dedication. Many of us have this instilled in us in our own ways, but all of these ways are different. So I would like everyone to sit back, relax, and enjoy a glimpse into the hard work and dedication of Shawn Anderson.
ii. Write a conclusion: -I would like to leave you with a thought, a thought about hard work and dedication. Many of us understand what an adult student is going through, but there are so many close minded adults out in the world. Many of them think that they do not have the time to take on school with everyday life. The hard work and dedication I learned in sports early on will continue to help me through until old age. I am still using the valuable lesson of hard work and dedication, in the expansion and developing of my own business. This business supports my family and is setting the ground work for mine and my family’s future. Most of us come from all walks of life. It has taken hard work and dedication for all of us to get where we are right now. An empty frame can be a symbol for better or for worse. In this case the frame represents something that is very positive. The frame is the symbol of my ever changing future. Two years ago, I would have said I would have been stuck in a dead end factory job with no future of a better life. Now I am telling and showing people that where there is hard work and dedication, there is a way. As long as I continue with the hard work and dedication, the future will be as positive as I want it to be. Thank you and good day!
5. Why topic is appropriate for my audience: This is to inform the audience about me. This will also help to build my credibility. Being a business owner, credibility is a key to the success of my business.
6. What does each item mean to you:
• (Past) Item 1: Football jersey will demonstrate the years I spent of hard work, dedication, and a team attitude.
• (Present) Item 2: My portfolio is a collection of works about me, for me, and representing me today at this point in time.
• (Future) Item 3: This frame will show about where I hope to be in a year from now. This will show my hard work coming to fruitation.
• Bag: Is a symbol of my current profession and hardships I am facing starting my own computer business.
7. Tone I want to use: I will be speaking in a casual tone to communicate with my audience.
8. What my biggest concern or worry about this speech is: I am having a hard time with the past. There really isn’t much that I can tie into my present. I have been thinking about a football jersey to show hard work, determination, a sense of team work, and perseverance. This will give me a smooth transition into going to school, getting certifications, and the hard work of raising kids and being married.