Consolidation questions 1. Give the names of the two primary alcohols with the molecular formula C4H10O. butan-1-ol 2-methyl propan-1-ol
2. Write the equation, using state symbols, for the reaction of ethanol with sodium.
CH3CH2OH(l) + Na(s) CH3CH2O-Na+(alc) + ½ H2(g)
3. Name the organic product above.
4. Give the names and structural formulae for the two possible products of the reaction of methanol with sodium dichromate(VI).
HCHO methanal HCOOH methanoic acid
(Partial oxidation) (Full oxidation)
5. For the products above give a test that would confirm the functional group
Add Brady’s reagent (2,4,6 dinitrophenyl hydrazine). Methanal gives bright yellow precipitate, methanoic acid dies not. To confirm the acid functional group, add sodium carbonate solution: effervescence results. 6. Draw structural formulae for the four isomers with molecular formula C4H9Br.
A CH3CH2CH2CH2Br 1-bromopropane
B CH3CH2CHBrCH3 2-bromopropane
C CH3CHBr(CH3)CH3 2-bromo-2-methylpropane
D CH3CH(CH3)CH2Br 1-bromo-2-methylpropane
7. Which of the halogenoalkanes in the previous question will react fastest with aqueous silver nitrate? Give a reason for your answer.
C, as it forms a tertiary carbocation, which is the most stable intermediate.
8. An unknown halogenoalkane , with molecular formula C2H5X reacts with hot aqueous silver nitrate to give a yellow ppt. a) identify the halogen
Yellow ppt is AgI, so the halogen is iodine
b) give the formula of the organic product of the reaction
CH3CH2OH, C2H5OH or C2H6O
c) state the type of organic reaction and the mechanism occurring
9. When 2-bromobutane reacts with hot ethanolic potassium hydroxide three products form. a) Give the names of these products
Butan-2-ol Substitution, Nucleophilic