Prêt A Manger is Britain’s most environmentally friendly food supplier and specializes in fresh sandwiches and drinks containing no chemicals. This report will be taking a look at internal and external factors the company positively and negatively. The report will include what they do well and not so well? What issues are affecting the company at present and in the future? In order to assess the company and possible future strategies it is necessary to conduct a SWOT analysis and PESTEL analysis. What is SWOT and PESTEL analysis? SWOT analysis is the strategic planning method used to the strength, weaknesses, opportunities and threats in a business. And on the other hand PESTEL analysis stands for political, economic, social, technological, environment and legal analysis and describe a framework of macro environmental used in the environmental scanning component of strategic management. 2.0 SWOT ANALYSIS
* Prêt A Manger is Britain’s most environmentally friendly food supplier with Waitrose. This gives them an edge over their competitors, because people now care a lot about their health. * Prêt A Manger has extremely strong brand name and brand image in the United Kingdom. This means the company can operate in other countries with the right strategy in place. * Prêt A Manger invests a lot on it staff and the quality of its food. This help keeps the standard and quality of their products, and make their customers to be loyal. * Pret A Manger shops are located at strategic position around the world, especially positions where the population is dense and consist of office workers and affluent people. * Pret A Manger does not franchise. This keeps their strong brand and quality of services provided by the company.
* Prêt A Manger does not engage in mass media or direct marketing. This surely has an effect on the company according to my small research, a lot of children, ages 25 below and immigrants in the United Kingdom do not know what Pret A Manger is all about, and prefer to eat at their competitors, because they have an idea of what they are likely to get due to adverts. Pret A Manger has to change their view on mass media and directing marketing. * Compared to their competitors, Pret A Manger is not designed for a family treat. And their main targets are office workers and affluent consumers. * Pret A Manger has a weakness global present apart from the United Kingdom.
* Globalization and integration process give Pret A Manger an excellent opportunities to penetrate into new markets. Prêt is in three countries worldwide. They have opportunities of investing in some European countries without barrier, * Prêt A Manger has opportunities to introduce new product, because they are known to specializing in sandwiches and drinks. * The development of technology, this has been helping Pret A Manger to cut cost, and increase profit. Like, designing and manufacturing of latest coffee making machines, for outstanding coffee taste, saving time and human capital.
* Prêt A Manger is in an environment where competition is very tense, so they have to keep improving the quality of their services and product. * Petrol price hitting record high since 2008, with plans from the government to increase duty on petrol next year will affect both Pret A Manger and their customer. * Pret A Manger is exposed to rises in the cost of coffee and dairy products.
3.0 PEST ANALYSIS
3.1. POLITICAL FACTORS
* Regional integration such as European Union which is now 27 countries and is likely to increase is a political aspect that affect business environment. Thus customers from part of these countries will have easy access to visit the United Kingdom and having a taste of Pret A Manger’s product. Also give opportunity to the company to do business in any of the European Union countries with ease. * The reduction...
References: Kiran Stacey. Pret A Manger steps up US expansion plans, Financial Times. London (UK): September 8, 2009. Page 19
Marketing Week. London: August 2, 2007 page 24.
Telegraph (2009) Investigation: How farm fishing boom in Chile threatens eco disaster. Available at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/chile/ 6426435 /Investigation-How-farm-fishing-boom-in-Chile-threatens-eco-disaster.html
Telegraph (Oct. 2009). The truth about Pret 's 'fresh ' fish - shipped 7,000 miles from Chile. Available at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/6426170/The-truth-about-Prets-fresh-fish-shipped-7000-miles-from-Chile.html
BBC (April 2010). Why has petrol gone up more than oil? Available at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8610030.stm
BBC (June 2009). Is it time to take tuna off the menu? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8090277.stm
Wikipedia (April 2010) Rainforest Alliance. Available at http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/
The National Bank of New Zealand, Solution Guide June 2004. Franchising your business: The Fundamentals. Page 4.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document