Amul Probiotic Ice-cream
As per Market survey, most of the people are today becoming health and calorie conscious. Amul wanted to capture this health conscious market segment of ice cream consumers with the launch of its specially created Probiotic wellness ice cream.
Essentially, it would not only convert non-consumers of ice cream into eaters but also increase frequency of ice cream eating. It expects to get 10 per cent additional growth only through the Probiotic range. Since the company will be the first to introduce the innovation, developed in-house, it expects to build the market and capture the entire market for Probiotic ice cream. (Source: http://www.scribd.com/doc/13702816/Amul-Prolife-Probiotic-Sugarfree-icecream-Project)
1. PROBIOTICS are live beneficial culture which, when administered in adequate amounts, confer a beneficial health effect on the host. They help in digestion, improve the immune system, fight against allergic reactions and are effective in controlling travelers' diarrhea. They also help in the prevention of formation and growth of colon cancer and enhances brain activity.
2. “The incorporation of Probiotic bacteria into ice-creams is highly advantageous since, in addition to being a rich food from the nutritional point of view, containing dairy raw material, vitamins and minerals in its composition, it is usually consumed by everybody, being well accepted by the public,” wrote the reviewers, led by Adriano Cruz from Universidade Estadual de Campinas in Sao Paulo. --- Food Research International.
(Source: http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Great-potential-of-Probiotic-ice-cream/) Concept Development
Ideas for new products can be obtained from basic research using a SWOT analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats).
Strengths: Its wellness ice cream which improve immunity & digestion. Amul Sugar-free Probiotic Diabetic Delight contains 50 per cent less fat and half of the calorie than normal ice cream.
Weaknesses: The durability of Amul ice-cream is not good, it melts very soon. Not a famous brand among youngsters who are the main customer.
Opportunities: Since the company is the first to introduce the innovation, developed in-house, it expects to build the market and capture the entire market for Probiotic ice cream. The target market will be the Health conscious consumer.
Threats: Competition from foreign existing brands like Baskin Robbins & Gelato etc.
Product Design & Development
Amul Probiotic wellness ice cream will be available in five flavours: vanilla with chocolate sauce, strawberry, chocolate, Anjir and fresh litchi. Also available in so many flavours packed in international packing.
Planning Product Development
Identify the Needs of Products/Services:
With strong emphasis on Education, bigger workforce and longer working hours, there has been a significant change in the eating habits of people (especially in the Metro cities and Tier 2 cities). People have become more health conscious and Diet and Lifestyle related diseases have also been on the rise.
In such an environment, a lot of essential food products and FMCG companies have come out with a range of products that focus on the specific needs of ever growing our urban population. Products such as Low Cholesterol Oil, Sugar Free Sweetener and Low Sodium Salt have been quite successful.
The following factors have come into light during the process of Needs identification of ‘Amul Probiotic Ice cream’:
• Rising Educated Workforce in India
• Greater emphasis on Healthy Lifestyle
• Weight Consciousness as Ice-Creams are basically considered to be a Sweet/Delicacy that can make you fat if over-eaten
Please join StudyMode to read the full document