CHAPTER 27: THE PATH OF EMPIRE HREF="http://www.historystuff.net/apcr.html"
1. What were the economic reasons for expansion by the late 1800s? – There were new markets emerging.
2. What was Josiah Strong's rationale for expansion? – To spread American Religion throughout the North American continent and weak countries.
3. How did Alfred T. Mahan impact American expansion in the late 1800s? – He strengthened naval power.
4. What was James Blaine's policy in Latin America? – To rally nations behind the US to promote foreign trade.
5. Why did American and Britain argue over Venezuela in the late 1800s? What was the Resolution to the problem? – They argued over Venezuela’s gold resources and the land.
6. What were the arguments for and against the annexation of Hawaii? - Annexing them would increase taxes, but would give them more land.
7. What problems were developing in Cuba? Why was America interested? – There were revolts for independence which increased amount of annual deaths.
8. How did the yellow press "manufacture" a war? – They stirred up the public which led McKinley to declare war.
9. What was the Maine explosion? What was the result? – The U.S.S. Maine blew up at a Venezuelan harbour, causing Americans to become extra wary.
10. What were the arguments for and against was with Spain in 1898? -
11. Why was the US involved in the Philippines? What were the results of the invasion? - They needed somewhere in the South Pacific to refuel their boats. Philippines were annexed from the Spanish Empire
12. What was the most dangerous factor during the Spanish-American War? - Disease
13. What did America gain as a result of the Spanish-American War? – Islands in the Caribbeans.
14. What were the arguments for and against the annexation of the Philippines? Who lead each side of the debate? Roosevelt led the movement to annex the Philippines and the Filipinos had always wanted to just be an