American Dream

Topics: United States Declaration of Independence, All men are created equal, James Truslow Adams Pages: 2 (403 words) Published: October 10, 2013
“In the American dream life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement regardless of social class or circumstances of birth.” James Truslow Adams defined that as the American dream in 1931. The American dream can also be derived from the Declaration of Independence of the United States. It proclaims that “all men are created equal,” and that they are “endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights”, including, “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” The American dream is different from one person to the next; it could be as widespread as having some food and shelter to million dollar Lamborghini. It is what each individual is striving for in their life. More and More Americans today believe the ‘American dream’ is a lost cause due to the economic crisis. That is according to a new poll released by Yahoo! Finance. The poll shows that 41% of Americans say the dream is lost, and 63% of Americans believe that the economy is getting worse. Although most Americans are staying optimistic and are using words like: effort, ambition, and belief. That means there is still hope for people still wanting to achieve the ‘American dream’. To most Americans the ‘American Dream’ consists of property and income. In 2011 MetLife’s annual general population survey uncovered significant differences in the American dream of today and yesterday’s. Only 41% believes that the American dream is still an important goal to achieve. If so, then what does the other 59% strive to achieve in their lives? In the same poll it stated the materialism is down, and that 75% of the people interviewed believed that they had the necessities of life. Does that mean they are settling for less than our founding fathers had fought to achieve for every American? The ‘American Dream’ is attainable to any American who goes and takes it. It it’s not for the faint of heart because it will be difficult. People who want to...

Cited: www.brainyqoute.com
www.kvtv.com
dsc.dicoverychannel.com
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • American Dream Paper
  • The American Dream Research Paper
  • Is The American Dream Dead Research Paper
  • illusion of the american dream Essay
  • Illusion of the American Dream Essay
  • American Dream Essay
  • American Dream: Accessibility vs. Achievability Essay
  • American Dream Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free