Dr. Rodolfo Jacobo
United States History: Chicano Perspective
Short essay questions and sources for exam I
1. What were the historical roots of anti-Mexican sentiment according to the article “Origins of Anti-Mexican Sentient?”
Refer to one page article handout entitled “The Origins of Anti Mexican Sentiment” in the additional readings folder under documents. Also consult the power-point with same title as handout.
What according to Rudolfo Acuna was the myth behind the battle of the Alamo and what was the historical reality of the battle?
Refer to your book Occupied America chapter three.
2. What according to your author Rudolfo Acuna was the religious justification for war against Mexico?
Refer to your book Occupied America chapter three. Also consult sources on Manifest Destiny.
3. What were the main civic and property rights established under article VIII and IX of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo?
Refer to your book Occupied America chapter three as well as power point entitled Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo .In addition, as indicated in your course outline under week four consult: www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/diplomacy/mexico/mxtreaty.htm
4. What according to Rudolfo Acuna was social banditry and who were some of the social bandits?
Refer to your book Occupied America chapter four and power point entitled “Social Banditry.”
5. What according to Rudolfo Acuna was the role of the oligarchy (rich/powerful) in the newly acquired territories of the south west and how did their power affect the Mexican population.
Refer to your book Occupied America chapter four, five and six.
6. What role did the discovery of gold play in the social political and economic transformation of California? What was the Mexican experience?
Refer to your book Occupied America chapter seven.
7. What was the controversy behind articles IX and X of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo?
Refer to your book Occupied...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document