What makes an Architectural Space comes alive? What’s this response to the development of modernity?
This essay will discuss the Alhambra in Granada, one of the greatest architectural sites of Islamic culture in Europe and contains some of the world’s finest Moorish architecture. Through the exploration of various symbolism found within the Alhambra, we will be able to discuss how these symbolism might help make an architectural space alive.
- Alhambra (means ‘Red Castle’ in Arabic due to its reddish walls)
- Last capital of the Moorish empire in Spain
- Main Purpose: A military fortification (against the Christians) and palace-city with gardens and bathes within it.
- Location: On the top of the hill al-Sabika on the left bank of the River Darro
- Located on a strategic high point with a view of the whole city
- Has two main …show more content…
The colour, photographs and illustrations in the book made it more appealing to the readers. The book gives the student an overview of the design, architecture, important features/elements of particular buildings at particular time frames/eras and how they might be linked to other communities or buildings. The book is arranged chronologically from the prehistoric era till the late 20th century. The use of timeline aided the students understanding. Specific architecture terms and definitions are bolded and linked to a glossary at the back of the book for reference. This book also helps students to link and make connections to historical events that where happening at different parts of the world at the same time. Thus this book is not only informative but also and engaging one that allows one to go back into time and journey along the history of architecture from past to