School: Washington County Career Technical Center
Facilitator: Marla Nikki Tarver
7.5 Work File Review: Setting Goals
Using the word bank below, fill in the blank:
long-term goals Self-esteemgoalspositivespecific needsmanagementwants visionmeasurable.
1. Just like planning a road trip, setting goals help you plan for your future.
2. Setting goals helps one become the boss of time and time .
3. Setting goals helps to raise .
4. Goals are based on wants and needs.
6. Goals must be and .
8. When writing goals, always state them in a manner.
9. Setting goals gives you long-term .
10. Goals that take months, a year or years to accomplish are referred to as Long-term goals.
11. What is the difference between needs and wants?
Want: New car
12. Why should goals be written down?
13. What is the difference between short-term and long-term goals? State one long-term goal and one short-term goal.
Short-term goal: Takes short period of times such as minutes, hours and days
Long-term goal: Takes months, a year, or years to accomplish
Identify the following goals as short-term or long-term, by highlighting ST for short-term or LT for long-term goals. Assume a teen is stating each of these goals.
14. I plan to be a doctor. STLT
15. I plan to make in an A on my 4.5 LMS exam.STLT
16. I will be drug free my entire life. ST LT
17. I will not smoke or use tobacco products during my entire life. STLT
18. I plan to lose 10 pounds starting February 1 and completing April 15.STLT
19. I plan to call my Mom to pick me up after the movie. STLT
20. I plan to graduate from college.STLT
21. I plan to score two goals in tomorrow’s soccer game.STLT
22. I plan complete my English term paper on Saturday during the hours of 4:00 PM through 7:00 P.M. STLT
23. I plan on calling my LMS teacher for our monthly phone contact by the 20th of each month. STLT
24. How do performance goals influence outcome goals?
Identify the following goals as a performance goal or an outcome goal by highlighting PG for performance goal or OG for outcome goal.
25. I plan to be a doctorPGOG
26. In order to lose 10 pounds by March 15, I plan to jog 3 miles, 3 days a week. PGOG
27. In order to remain drug free, I plan to avoid locations where drugs are known to be present. PGOG
28. I plan to practice side kicks 15 minutes before every soccer game.PGOG
29. I plan to fit into a size 8 pair of jeans within three months. PG OG
Remember, goals should be SPECIFIC, MEASUREABLE and TIME BOUND.
The following goal meets these guidelines.
“I plan to lose 10 pounds in 2 months by limiting my intake of high calorie sodas/fruit/sports drinks to one each day.”
It is SPECIFIC—lose 10 pounds
It is MEASURABLE—weigh now and on March 15
It is TIME BOUND—date to accomplish goal is within two months.
Below are some possible areas for improving health which you may consider. Goal Choices:
Healthy eating habits
Now, it is time to write a HEALTH goal for you. (Please do not use the example given in the lesson.)
-Get in the mind set of a health goal.
-Think about your vision—what you want to accomplish.
1. Write your health goal in a positive manner.
2. Write your plan of action. You must have at least 3 SPECIFIC steps.
3. Write your time frame.
This goal will be required for the 7.5 Goal Setting Quiz.