1. What is communication? How does communicating relate to parenting?
Communication is “any share of meaning between two people”, as it states in the text. Communicating relates to parenting because the parents and children will not understand each other if there is no real communication. If the parent doesn’t know what’s wrong, then the parent can’t help the child.
2. How can financial issues affect parenting?
Financial issues can affect parenting by the parent working extra hours which cause the children to be home alone which causes less quality time with their parents. Also if the children are unsupervised, they can seriously hurt themselves and do bad things without getting punished. Also parents will come home exhausted which will make them quicker to get mad at their children because they just want to sleep.
3. How does negative communication differ from positive communication?
Negative communication is shutting the child out and ignoring the child which usually pushes kids away. Positive communication is actually talking to them and bringing them closer.
4. How can divorce affect children?
Divorce can affect children by causing young children guilty, sad, and angry about the divorce. Teens can have insecurities, sadness, and they want to get themselves involved risky behaviors and illegal situations.
5. What are three tips that parents can use to improve communication with their children?
One tip to improve communication is making the child the center of your attention. Don’t ignore the child while he/she is talking.
The second tip is if you get angry, take a break and count to 10 before you speak to the child. Everybody says meaner things when they’re angry.
If the child has a problem, help him/her. Discuss ways to fix it and ways to not let it happen again.
1. Why is it important that parents talk to their children about social issues such as divorce, finances, and unemployment? How can parents