DEVELOPMENT OF A MULTI-PLATFORM ONLINE LIBRARY
(CASE STUDY: BELLS UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY LIBRARY)
OKEY IKECHUKWU OGBONNAYA
SUBMITTED TO THE DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
COLLEGE OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION
BELLS UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OTA, OGUN STATE.
IN PARTIAL FULFILMENT OF THE REQUIREMENT FOR THE AWARD
OF THE DEGREE OF BACHELOR OF TECHNOLOGY (B.TECH) IN
This is to certify that this project was clearly implemented and documented by OKEY IKECHUKWU OGBONNAYA of the MATRIC NUMBER 2010/1282, and submitted to the COMPUTER SCIENCE DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY, BELLS UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OTA, OGUN STATE for the award of a degree.
Signature and Date
Professor E.R. Adagunodo
Head of Department
Signature and Date
I will like to dedicate this project to God Almighty for seeing me through my stay in the university and my parents, Engr. C. O. Okey and Mrs. J. O. Okey who gave me the opportunity of becoming a scholar. I will also like to thank my wonderful siblings Ihuoma and Emmanuel who always show me great support and love throughout my stay in the university.
All thanks to the Almighty God for his infinite mercy, wisdom, strength and guidance throughout the course of my academic career.
My profound gratitude to my parents Engr. C. O. Okey and Mrs. J. O. Okey, who have prayed and cared for me in love right from my birth, May the Almighty God continue to bless you and grant your heart desires in Jesus Name Amen. For his guidance and immense support, I will like to thank my supervisor, Engineer Ezike who guided me on the way and manner of carrying out my project plus encouraged me to struggle and overcome challenges during the course of my project. For their support, I want to thank the Bells University Library Staffs for supporting me during the process of development of this project.
I will also like to use the opportunity to show gratitude to the entire COLICT staff for their profound lectures and guidance they bestowed on me during my stay at the university. Finally, I want to thank Mr. Augustine Okere [former staff of Fleet Technologies Limited] for his patience and guidance may God continue to bless you.
The main aim of this project is to help solve the current problem of the readers’ service department, collection and development department, technical department and the e-library. The current readers’ desk management system automates the basic operations carried out in that department but still has some limitations and prone to errors that can be caused by the network or the readers’ desk.
The online library management system can be seen as a modern innovation that is expected to help in the registration of users such as the students and teaching staff of the institution, registration and the classification of books, extracting and storing the details of e-books, generating reports, accurate calculation of fines, sending mails to registered users of the system to inform them of the new collections and remind them to return borrowed materials. This system can perform two automated tasks with the help of two windows services.
The windows service is a light-weight background program that provides core operating system functions such as web services, error or report logging etc. In this project, the purpose of the windows service is to provide web services for automatically adding defaulters to the defaulters list and deleting user reservations. The main advantage of using a windows service is that the system can still carry out its automated functions even when the application is not running.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
References: 1. Ashutosh Tripathi and Ashish Srivastava, 2012. “Online Library Management System”.
3. AllWords.com, 2013. “Definition of System Design” [Online]:
4. Bhupendra, Shraddha Panwar and Vijay Vaishnav, 2011. “Online Library Management
5. Bijesh Nair, 2011. “Online Library System”. Final year project report of Masters of
Computer Application in G.V School of Engineering and Technology
6. Buena Vista University (2013), “Library Mission” [Online]:
7. Chelmsford Public Library (2013), “Objectives and Purposes of the Library” [Online]:
8. Dictionary.com, 2013. “Online Public Access Catalog” [Online]:
9. Darren Adams, Sergey Begun, Andrew Fail, Shawn Halger and Franklin Lee, 2007.
10. Dubberly Design Office, 2013. “System Design” [Online]:
11. Flightsystems, 2013. “Purpose of System Design” [Online]:
12. Grant-Ezeronye G. C., 2011. “Development of a Library’s Readers’ Desk Management
13. HRSA (Health Resources and Services Administration), 2014. “System Implementation”
14. Infoplease. The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th Ed. - Columbia University Press
(2013), “Library: Evolution” [Online]:
15. M. Satish Kumar, 2012. “Online Library”. Final year project, July 2012.
16. N. Sivakumar, 2012. “International Library Management Systems”. INTERNATIONAL
JOURNAL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Please join StudyMode to read the full document