Read: Guarding the Golden Door: American Immigration Policy and Immigrants Since 1882, by Roger Daniels.
Answer the following questions based ONLY on the book:
1. Discuss the attitudes toward immigration of both politicians and the public prior to the Civil War.
2. Explain the circumstances leading to the passage of the Chinese Exclusion Act. Why was its passage both pivotal and problematic?
3. Discuss the Immigration Restriction League. How did its attitudes and fears become law? By the same token, How did the end of World War I and the First Red Scare fuel the passage of the 1921 Immigration Act?
4. Discuss the complexities of Mexican immigration as outlined in Chapter 3. Explain how the Great Depression began to change circumstances for Mexican immigrants in the United States during the 1930s.
5. Explain the end of the quota system. What were the unintended consequences?
6. How did 9/11 affect attitudes toward immigration?
Writing the paper:
1. In the upper left hand corner, include your name, class time, and date. This should be single spaced.
2. Include a title, centered on the page. (DO NOT include a title page)
3. Use 12 point font, left alignment for the main body of your text. The body should be double-spaced.
4. You must include an introduction, no more than one page, and a thesis statement. Here, you want to introduce the topic, you can use information from the book itself or your textbook. You can also use outside sources, but the sources MUST be from academic journals. To find these journal articles, utilize the HCC library webpage. Two good search engines to find articles are: Academic Search Complete and JSTOR. DO NOT USE NON-ACADEMIC SOURCES. This means no Wikipedia or similar websites. You MUST cite your work.
5. Your paper must be at least 5 full pages.
6. Use quotations sparingly, you should have no more than 4 in your paper. Each quotation MUST be cited.
7. Even if you do not use quotations,