Name: _________Mishana Sturdivant___
126.96.36.199 - Human Homeostasis
Vocabulary: dehydration, heat stroke, homeostasis, hypothermia, involuntary, thermoregulation, voluntary
Prior Knowledge Questions (Do these BEFORE using the Gizmo.) A thermostat is a device that regulates the temperature inside a building.
1. What does a thermostat do if it gets too cool? __It would turn on the heater or turn off the A/C___________
2. What does a thermostat do if it gets too hot? ____It would activate the Air Conditioning or turn of the Heat
3. How do our bodies sometimes act like a thermostat? __When we are cold, we shiver to heat up and reach or equilibrium
To survive, an organism must be able to maintain stable internal conditions in a changing environment. This process is called homeostasis. The Human Homeostasis Gizmo™ allows you to explore how the human body stays at a nearly constant temperature in different conditions. Notice the Air temp. and Body temp. thermometers representing the air temperature and body temperature.
1. What is the initial air temperature? _32 degrees F_____
2. What is the initial body temperature? __99 degrees F__
3. Next to each factor listed below, write “increase,” “decrease,” or “same” based on how you expect that factor to affect body temperature.
Raising air temperature:
Lowering air temperature:
|Activity A: |Get the Gizmo ready: |[pic] | | |If necessary, click Reset ([pic]). | | |Body temperature | | |
Question: What factors increase or decrease body temperature?
1. Observe: With the Air temp. at 0 °C (32 °F) and Body temp. at 37 °C (99 °F), click Play ([pic]). After one simulated hour (does not have to be exact), click Pause ([pic]).
What is the body temperature after one hour? ____97 °F ______________________
2. Gather data: Fill in the first line of the data table below. Then, use the same procedure to test the effect of each of the following factors. Click Reset between each trial. Record the initial and final body temperatures in the table below. (Leave the last column blank.)
• Set the Exercise level to 70%. (All other settings in default position.)
• Set the Sweat level to 70%.
• Under Body position, select Shivering.
• Next to Clothing, click Add four times to add a sweatshirt, hat, pants, and parka.
|Factor |Initial body temp. |Body temp. after one |Effect of factor on body temperature | | | |hour | | |Standing still |99 |97 |decreased | |Exercising |99 |102 |increased | |Sweating |99 |93 |decreased | |Shivering |99 |99 |same | |Adding clothing |99 |99 |same...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document