126.96.36.199 - Human Homeostasis Gizmo
188.8.131.52 - Human Homeostasis
Vocabulary: dehydration, heat stroke, homeostasis, hypothermia, involuntary, thermoregulation, voluntary
Prior Knowledge Questions (Do these BEFORE using the Gizmo.)
A thermostat is a device that regulates the temperature inside a building.
1. What does a thermostat do if it gets too cool? __It would turn on the heater or turn off the A/C___________
2. What does a thermostat do if it gets too hot? ____It would activate the Air Conditioning or turn of the Heat
3. How do our bodies sometimes act like a thermostat? __When we are cold, we shiver to heat up and reach or equilibrium
To survive, an organism must be able to maintain stable internal conditions in a changing environment. This process is called homeostasis. The Human Homeostasis Gizmo™ allows you to explore how the human body stays at a nearly constant temperature in different conditions. Notice the Air temp. and Body temp. thermometers representing the air temperature and body temperature.
1. What is the initial air temperature? _32 degrees F_____
2. What is the initial body temperature? __99 degrees F__
3. Next to each factor listed below, write “increase,” “decrease,” or “same” based on how you expect that factor to affect body temperature.
Raising air temperature: __same____ Sweating: __decrease___
Lowering air temperature: ___increase___ Shivering: __increase___
Adding clothing: __increase_____ Exercising: ___increase_____
|Activity A: |Get the Gizmo ready: |[pic] |
| |If necessary, click Reset ([pic]).