* "Segmented worms"
* ----Include about 15,000 species.
* Example: Earthworms, leeches, clam worms.
* They all have segmented body divided by septa.
* walls of tissue.
* These organisms contain Bristols called Satae.
* They use setae to move, burrow, swim (clam works).
* These are worldwide organisms.
* These are Detrivore
* They feed on dead organic material all the way to parasites. (leeches)
Basic Body Plan
* Protosmium- head region, lots of segments.
* Pigidium- Tail end.
* Body wall has
* longitudal muscles (up and down move)
* circular muscles (forward and bacwards)
* Coeleum- filled with fluids.
* Nervous System
* Contain cerebral ganglia
* Two grey balls w/ ventral nerve cord attached that runs down length of body. * Cerebreal Ganglia also analogues to the brain.
* Circulatory System
* Ex: Earthworm
* Contains 5 hearts called arotic arches and dorsal blood vessels. * Closed system
* They contain hemobligin (iron)- carries oxygen
* Contain Nephrida. (Well developed)
* Removes waste from blood and coelum-cavity (Comparably to our kidneys) * Respiration System:
* Some breathe via Diffusion.
* Some have Parapodia
* Varies greatly.
* Both monoecious, and Dioceious species.
* All marine about 10,000 species named.
* Head region Present.
* Contain Parapodia
* Paired appendeges
* Used for swimming, digging, etc, and respiration.
* Well developedsetae (hairs)
* They don't contain a citellum
* Large part of marine foodchain.
Groups of Polychaeta
1. Sedentary polychaetes
a. Don't move alot, lazy in our world.
b. live in extreme environments.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document