1. What is the hierarchy of structural order in living organisms? * Atom, molecule, cells, tissue, organ, organ system, organism
2. Why is it important to understand “structure – function” relationships? How do the structure and function of the tissues apply to this concept? * It is important to know structure and function relationships so that you will understand how everything works together. * With tissues it is important to know the structures and functions relationships because they are all different, they have different functions and structure depending on the part of the body the tissues are located.
3. What is a tissue?
* Groups of cells that are similar in structure and preform a common or related function.
4. What are the 4 principal tissue types?
* Epithelial, connective, nervous, muscle
5. What are the main characteristics of the 4 types?
* Closely attached to each other forming a protective barrier, * Always has one free (apical) surface open to outside the body or inside (cavity) an internal organ. * Has no blood vessels but can soak up nutrients from blood vessels in connective tissue underneath. * Very good at regenerating or fixing itself
6. Epithelial tissues
a. What are the general types
* Simple epithelia, and Stratified epithelia
b. How are they named?
* Named by cell shape and organization
c. What is the basic function of this tissue?
* Protection, absorption, filtration, excretion, secretion, and sensory reception. d. Where found in the body?
* Outer layer of skin, dips into and lines open cavities, of the urogenital, digestive, and respiratory system and covers the walls of organs of the closed ventral cavities. 7. Connective tissue
e. What are the general types?
* Conective tissue proper, cartilage, bone, blood
f. What are the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document