Results and Discussion Worksheet
Due Monday December 2 by 1 p.m.
Post to CourseSite AND bring hard copy to your group meeting on this day
This worksheet is intended to help you organize your information and thoughts for the final project Results and Discussion sections.
There is no formal draft requirement for the final paper, so this is your chance to be sure you have a grip on key elements needed for these sections. If you don’t know the answers to some questions listed below, please consult with your group members, TA, or instructor.
Note that this is one of the assignments that is a learning tool but not an evaluation tool. It IS mandatory but you will not receive a letter grade. If you fail to turn it, or if it is incomplete or shows inadequate effort to do a decent job, points will be deducted from your final paper grade. (See last page of Syllabus.)
You may discuss answers orally at a general level with your group members, but please DO NOT COMPOSE THE WRITTEN ANSWERS TOGETHER. All worksheets (as well as all final papers) are to be WRITTEN INDIVIDUALLY. Your groups’ materials will have some similarities since you are working with the same ideas, but each person’s worksheet should still reflect his or her individual writing efforts and grasp of the ideas. Otherwise this violates the no-collaborative rule, and also we cannot give you effective feedback to help you with your final paper.
Remember, in your paper, the Results and Discussion will need to be more than just putting these pieces together. You will need to weave them into a logical sequence of paragraphs and elaborate on them as appropriate. See the sample papers for guidance, as well as the textbook.
Please download this worksheet and type your answers beneath each question.
1. Make an APA-style figure and table of your data (including caption/title). Consult textbook and sample papers for format.
Comparisons of Means from Charitable Donation Study
(with Standard Deviations in Parentheses)
Note: N = 36.
Figure 1: Comparison of “Willingness to give” means between gender and age.
2. What did you predict regarding a main effect of the first variable?
We predict that the participants will be more likely to assist the younger children in the scenarios versus the older people in the scenarios.
3. What are the means for this main effect? Is the pattern of the means consistent with your prediction? Explain why or why not.
The means for this main effect were consistent with our prediction. The values for young male and young female in the “Willingness” category were greater than the values for the older male and older female. (5.97 and 6.06 are both greater than 4.83 and 4.72)
4. Write a sentence in APA style reporting the F test result for this main effect (see sample papers for format). Does the test indicate a significant difference between the means? We conducted a repeated measures ANOVA. For willingness to help, there was a main effect of age of the target F (1,36) = 38.70, p < .001. Participants rated that they would be more willing to help children than adults.
5. What did you predict regarding a main effect of the second variable?
We predicted that the participants will be more likely to assist females than males.
6. What are the means for this main effect? Is the pattern of the means consistent with your prediction? Explain why or why not.
The means for this main effect were not consistent with our...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document