Explosion of Field
Dr. Phil and Oprah
O. J. Simpson and Prosecutor Marcia Clark
Predict what a jury will do from the demographic characteristics of jurors. •
Predict what a jury will do from the individual characteristics--personalities--of the jurors. Does SJS Work?
Can consultants predict what a certain type of juror is likely to do? •
Can consultants predict what a certain juror demographic is likely to do? •
Jurors do not reliably vote for guilt or acquittal on the basis of their demographic characteristics. •
There is some slim evidence that women, as a group, may be more likely to convict with sex crimes. •
There is some evidence that African Americans are unlikely to convict in capital cases. •
But, that is it, and it is not much.
Traditional Personality Test Predictors
Locus of Control
Just World Scale
Juror Bias Scale
Locus of Control
1. Becoming a success is a matter of hard work; luck has little or nothing to do with it. •
2. People who can’t get others to like them don’t understand how to get along with others. •
3. One of the main reasons that we have wars is that people don’t take enough interest in politics. •
4. No matter how hard you try, some people just don’t like you. •
5. Sometimes I can’t understand how teachers arrive at the grades they give. •
6. Most people don’t realize the extent to which their lives are controlled by accidental happenings. •
7. The average citizen can have an influence on government decisions. •
8. There is a direct connection between how hard I study and the grades I get. •
9. Getting a good job depends mainly on being in the right place at the right time. •
10. There really is no such thing as luck.
11. There will always be wars no matter how hard people try to prevent them. •
12. The world is run by a few people in power and there is not much the little guy can do about it. Just World Scale
1. I’ve found that a person rarely deserves the reputation he has. •
2. Basically, the world is a fair place.
3. People who get “lucky breaks” have usually earned their good fortune. •
4. Careful drivers are just as likely to get hurt in traffic accidents as careless ones. •
5. It is a common occurrence for a guilty person to get off free in American courts. •
6. Students almost always deserve the grades they get in school. •
7. Men who keep in shape have little chance of suffering a heart attack. •
8. The political candidate who sticks up for his principles rarely gets elected. •
9. It is rare for an innocent man wrongly to be send to jail. •
10. In professional sports, many fouls and infractions never get called by the referee. •
11. By and large, people deserve what they get.
12. When parents punish their children, it is almost always for good reasons. •
13. Good deeds often go unnoticed and unrewarded.
14. Although evil men may hold political power for awhile, in the general course of history, good wins out. •
15. In almost any business or profession, people who do their job well rise to the top. •
16. American parents tend to overlook the things most to be admired in their children. •
17. It is almost impossible for a person to receive a fair trial in the USA. •
18. People who meet with misfortune have often brought it on themselves. •
19. Crime frequently does pay.
20. Many people suffer through absolutely no fault of their own. Authoritarianism Scale (F-Scale)
1. Every child should have religious instruction.
2. This country would be better off if religion had a greater influence in daily life. •
3. Our country should be engaged constantly in research to develop superior weapons for our national defense. •
4. Central government should run only those things which cannot be run effectively at the local level. •
5. If a man is showing a sex movie to friends at home, the police should stop it....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document