Russian Revolution Timeline
Identify historically significant events in Russia’s history from 1880-1917 on the timeline. Specifically, choose events that are relevant to the political and economic development of Russia during this period. Your timeline should include a minimum of 15 events over this time period. Plot each event to indicate when they occurred, but also decide to what extent each event was moving Russia toward modernization and stability, or whether the event was moving Russia toward REVOLUTION. For each event, provide a 1-2 sentence justification to explain why you placed it in a certain location on the peace-war axis. Your justification should indicate an understanding of how this event played a role in Russia’s political, social or economic development over this period. When finished, use the timeline to consider how Russia was changing over this period, and assess whether Revolution would have been likely without the First World War?
1. 1 March 1898, The Marxist Russian Social Democratic Party (RSLDP) holds its first Party Congress 2.30 June 1901, Socialist Revolutionary Party is founded
3. 17 November 1917, RSLDP splits into Bolsheviks and Mensheviks 4. 8 February 1904, Russo- Japanese War begins
5.3 January 1905, Workers Strike in St, Petersburg
6. 9 January 1905, Bloody Sunday
7. 28 May 1905, First Soviet is formed during a textile strike 8. 14 June 1905, Mutiny of the Potkemin
9. 5 September 1905, End of Russo-Japanese war, Russia end up as losers 10.23 April 1906, First Duma called, but it was dissolved about 3 months later 11. 30 July 1914, Russia mobilizes army to defend Serbia from AH 12. 1 August 1914, Germany declares war on Russia
13. 2 May-19 September 1915, Germany takes over significant Russian land 14. 23-27 February 1917, February Revolution: After a series of strikes demanding the end of autocracy and the pulling out of WWI, soldiers join the protesters, Petrograd Soviet founded 15. 2 March 1917, Nicholas II abdicates the throne, Provisional Government takes control 16. 25 October 1917, October Revolution by the Military Revolutionary Committee enter the winter palace and end the power of the Provisional Government.
1. 1 March 1898, The Marxist Russian Social Democratic Party (RSLDP) holds its first Party Congress
This meeting took place in the house of railway worker Rumyanstev, at the meeting 9 delegates were present and they represented 3 parties: the Mensheviks, the Bolsheviks and the social democrats. The main ideas that were discussed were on how to overthrow the autocracy in a workers revolution or what to do to improve the current situation for the workers and peasants.
30 June 1901, Socialist Revolutionary Party is founded
The Social Revolutionary Party would go on to play a key role in the Russian Revolution, it shared power with liberals and social democrats in the Provisional Government and won a plurality vote in the Russia’s first even democratic elections. The party was based on Marxists key ideas, but it looked to attract everyone, from workers to less radical people.
17 November 1917, RSLDP splits into Bolsheviks and Mensheviks
At their second congress the party split into two factions, the Bolsheviks, led by Lenin, and the Mensheviks led by Julius Martov. The Bolsheviks would later go on to lead a second revolution in Russia in October of 1917
8 February 1904, Russo- Japanese War begins
The Japanese army launched a surprise torpedo at the Russian Navy at Port Arthur. The results in the two countries fighting a war which would suck all the morale and resources out of Russia.
3 January 1905, Workers Strike in St, Petersburg
A strike in an ammunition factory took place in St Petersburg. This strike would later on lead on to the 1905 Revolution
9 January 1905, Bloody Sunday...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document