Kerala poets and writers
* Akkitham Achuthan Namboodiri - A famous Malayalam poet who is honored by the epithet Mahaakavi. He won the Kendra Sahithya Academy Award for Malayalam in 1973. His famous poems include 'Irupatam Nuttantinte Ithihasam. Akkitham is associated with Tapasya _ a cultural organization.
* Arundhati Roy - Writer, awarded the Booker Prize in 1997 for The God of Small Things, which is set in Kerala. Born in Kerala.
* Balachandran Chullikkadu - Poet admired for his realistic approach and hummable and rhythmic poems.His famous literary works are Pathinettu kavithakal,Amavasi,Gasal and Manasantharam.
* Balamani Amma - She was a great Poet.Amma ,the poem ,written by Balamani amma is very famous.she won the highest literary medal in India, the Saraswathi Samman.Other awards bagged by she include award from academy for malayalam literature,Vallathol puraskaram and award from academy for national literature.Famous literary works are Kudumbini,Muthassi,prabhankuram,sopanam,sthree hridayam and avar padunnu.
* Changampuzha Krishna Pillai (1911-1948) - Poet, author of the pastoral elegy Ramanan (1936) which sold over 100,000 copies, a record that still stands. Changampuzha took Malayalam poetry to the zenith of romanticism. His famous works include Ramanan,Bhashpanjali,Sankalpa kanthi,Raktha pushpangal,Thilothama,Dheva geetha,yavanika,maniveena and magdhalana mohini
* Cherusseri Namboodiri - Mahakavi (great poet), part of the old Kavithrayam (triad of poets), with Ezhuthachan and Kunchan Nambiar. Author of Krishnagaadha (The Song of Krishna).He wrote Krishnagadha according to the advise of Kolathunadu udhaya varmma thampuran.Cherusseri was belived to be lived in AD 15th century.
* D. Vinayachandran - He is a Poet,story writer and translator.He has got Kerala sahithya academy award.Famous works include Peru ariyatha marangal,vamsa gadha,narakam,samastha keralam P O and samayamanasam
* Hameed Chennamangaloor - writer, progressive Muslim intellectual, critic of religious fundamentalism.
* Kadammanitta Ramakrishnan- Noted Malayalam Poet.He was born in Kadammanitta .He had bagged Kerala Sahithya Academy award in 1982.His famous works include Kurathi,Kadinjool Pottan,Misrathalam,Mazha Peyyunnu Maddhalam Kottunnu,Sooryasila,Shantha
* Kamala Das - English poet and feminist, also wrote in Malayalam under the pen-name Madhavikkutty. First Indian woman to openly write about woman's sexuality. Embraced Islam under the name Kamala Suraiyya in 1999.She had bagged Asian Poetry Prize, 1964, Kent Award, 1965,Vayalar ramavarma award for neermathalam poothakalam.Famous literary works include Mathilukal,Tharisu nilam,ente snehitha,aruna,chuvappu pavada,pakshiyude maranam,neermathalam poothakalam and mayooram
* Kesari Balakrishna Pillai - Social thinker, Literary critic who influenced a generation of writers and other intellectuals in Kerala during the first half of 20th Century. The name of one of his book "Navalokam" (New World) is symbolical representative of his intellectual contributions. Kesari read and wrote about various subjects. He gave advice and guidance most of the second generation Malayalam writers including, Thakazhi, Basheer, Pottekkadu. Kesari published a newspaper "Kesari" by which name he is known later. Kesari translated many literary works directly from French to show examples of world Literature to then Malayali writers.
* Kumaran Asan - Mahaakavi (great poet), part of the new Kavithrayam, with Ulloor and Vallathol.He was born in the year 1873 at Kayikkara in chirayinkil thalukk.Kumaran Asan was the follower of Srinarayana Guru. He used poetry to influence the society.He spent his entire life period for malayalam literacy and for progress of poor and downtrodden people.His famous works include Chinthavishtta aya seetha,veena poovu,nalini,chandalabhikshuki,leela,vanamala and pushpavadi
* Kalakkaththu Kunchan Nambiar - Mahaakavi (great poet), part of the old Kavithrayam....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document