WE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING
PROBLEM – SOLVING TECHNIQUE
• ISSUE HAS TO BE IDENTIFIED
• ASK QUESTIONS TO KNOW BETTER :
+ is the issue really a problem ?
+ how does it help if the issue is
+ is it worth the time & money to
+ is it be profitable?
• Understanding is not restricted to only
identifying the issue.
• It can even be a technique for idea creating
ISSUE IDENTIFIED :
# STUDY THE SITUATION TO KNOW MORE
# KNOW CONSUMERS’ REACTION TOWARDS
# STUDY THE CAUSE AND EFFECT OF THE ISSUE
# KNOW THE INFORMATION ABOUT THE SITUATION
# ASK FREQUENTLY ON HOW IT CAN BE SOLVED
# ALWAYS LOOK OUT FOR PROBLEMS THAT MAY
Every idea no matter
whacky it is ; is still an idea.
• All about being Creative
• Extent we can go to
achieve the solution
• Availability of technology
• How to come up with ideas?
DEFINE THE ISSUE
• Define the issue – know where you are standing.
Know your ground very well.
• Focus – know where you are heading to. Always
check if the idea is relevant. Out of topic is
definitely out of question
• Random – come up with ideas which are crazy –
it might be useful – simple yet powerful is
definitely in use here.
• Parallel thinking – issues that have been solved
can be an inspiration in solving your own issue.
Ideas are infinite. Anything is possible.
a model built
• experimental purpose
• to make it into something that can be used
• to check the functionality
• to get feedback on the product/system
Purifying Palm Oil Mill Effluent
Figure 1: Palm oil mill effluent in the anaerobic
• Palm oil mill effluent – made up of solids,
grease and oil due to the production of crude
• Pollutes the river
• Contains high level of BOD, COD and pH
• Hence aquatic animals are affected by it
• POME has to purified before releasing it to the
• Other existing methods: anaerobic retention
pond and usage of geo-bags
• POME is used to produce fertilizers
• Existing methods – longer time and much
Figure 2: Geo bags
The POME is stored in this geo-bags. The bags cannot be reused. Each bag is very expensive and need high technicality to use it.
Figure 3: Anaerobic retention pond
POME are placed here and has to go through 6 ponds to
clear it up. Not only it is expensive, it is not reliable. The ponds are cleared completely every 3 years making it such
a hassle and time consuming.
• Environmentally friendly
• Shorter time to produce fertilizer
• Activated carbon can absorb POME
• Activated carbon can be produced in large
quantity with organic material
• Empty fruit bunch are ample in palm oil
• Produce activated carbon using empty fruit
• Use slow pyrolysis to produce activated
Figure 4: Empty fruit bunch
Empty fruit bunch is organic and can be used to create
activated carbon. It is cheap and found abundantly in
the plantation .
• Absorbed POME can be used as fertilizers by
• Vermicomposting – method where POME are
placed in with worms (accelerant) to produce
fertilizers. It would take 70 days to produce
the fertilizers, cheaper and reliable.
• Producing activated carbon using EFB would
be the task to be completed
• POME would be tested for pH and turbidity
• Test the produced activated carbon with
• The result would be the outcome of our
Please join StudyMode to read the full document