1. The electron microscope has been particularly useful in studying prokaryotes, because
electrons can penetrate tough prokaryotic cell walls.
~prokaryotes are so small.
prokaryotes move so quickly they are hard to photograph.
their organelles are small and tightly packed together.
2. Which of the following terms is most closely associated with "resolving power"?
3. The person who first used the term cell to describe the basic unit of life was
Anton Van Leeuwenhoek.
4. Which of the following is true of prokaryotic cells?
~They have no nucleus.
They have mitochondria.
They have an endoplasmic reticulum.
Plant cells are one example.
5. Which of the following consist of prokaryotic cells
Plants and animals
Bacteria and archaea
~Plants, fungi, bacteria and archaea
Plants, bacteria and archaea
6. The cells of a bee and an elephant are, on average, the same small size; an elephant just contains more cells. What is the main advantage of a small cell size?
Small cells are less likely to burst than large cells.
It takes less energy to make an organism out of small cells.
~A small cell has a larger surface area-to-volume ratio than a large cell.
Small cells require less oxygen than large cells.
7. Ribosomes are found on the surface of this structure.
8. The function of the nucleus is to
contain the cytoplasm.
~contain and replicate DNA.
add sugars to proteins.
9. The function of ribosomes is to synthesize
10. Which of the following structures maintains cell shape, anchors the organelles, and moves parts of the cell?
11. One of the main structural components of plant cell walls is
Please join StudyMode to read the full document