Kingdom of Songhai
Motives behind Iberian exploration, and the technological advances which made it possible (pp. 337-43)
Differences between African and Asian trade goods sought by the Portuguese (339-41)
Spanish impact on the Americas (341-43)
Reason for European demand for slaves (346)
over great distances. They left enduring marks on society that still persist to this day. The classical Mediterranean civilizations and the Qin and Han dynasties of China are similar in many ways, they are similar politically because they have parallel organization of government, they are similar religiously...
by lex talionis and what?
Social Class structure – social inequalities
4. What of the following contributed to the fall of both the western Roman and the Han?
Invasion by barbarian & borderland tribes (Huns, Visigoths, Vandals)
6. Describe the major effects of the Bantu migrations?
• Classical Civilizations refers to about 1000 BC to 600 CE. The major civilizations to emerge were Zhou and Han China,
Greece and Rome, and the Gupta Empire.
THE RIVER-VALLEY CIVILIZATIONS
Each early civilization developed its own unique ways of life, but they...
AP World History
The Han and RomanEmpire thrived during their golden ages and left many long-lasting legacies. For example, Han China left Buddhism and Confucianism, and RomanEmpire left technology, art, and language. However, Han and the RomanEmpire went through a decline gradually and...
- priest's total control of the state
45. one difference between classical civilizations and river-valley civilizations was that in classical civilizations..
- political organizations were more elaborate
46. one difference between classical China and the earlier Hwang Ho river-valley civilization...
of Buddhism and Christianity, expanding as great religious empires. While both unified civilizations by spiritual beliefs, their political structure differed significantly. The belief system between Christianity and Buddhism had similarities and differences in moral doctrine.
The fall of the Han dynasty and the fall of the Western RomanEmpire do compare in some ways. For instance, they both faced internal oppositions. Notwithstanding, the Romans differentiate because they had been invaded unlike the fall of the Han. Furthermore, the empire of Western Roman did not dilapidate...
as farming – included pastoralism
* Development of farming communities – a major change – started to be accompanied by a wall structure
* Between about 12,000 and 1,000 BCE – Appeared independently
* Prior to farming, population size in any one area was limited by the availability of wild...
Development of States & Empires
IV. The Roman, Han, Persian, Mauryan, and Gupta empires created political, cultural, and administrative difficulties that they could not manage, which eventually led to their decline, collapse and transformation into successor empires or states.
Key Concept 2...
The Han Dynasty vs. The RomanEmpire
The RomanEmpire and the Han Dynasty of China had many similarities and differences. Many of these similarities and differences were political, social, and economical. Some of the similarities included the resemblances of political figures, the role of women, and...
1. THE CLASSICAL CIVILIZATIONS
a. Persian (Achaemenid) Empire
c. Roman Republic & Empire
d. Qin & Han Dynasty
e. Maurya & Gupta Empires
f. Teotihuacan, Mayan city-states
including some underlying similarities in cementing a social hierarchy
A) Thesis: Both Hinduism and Confucianism have similar ideals and beliefs. However, Confucianism is considered to be more a philosophy than a religion.
1. Direct Comparisons
a. Similarity: revolved around the idea...
Essay #1-Compare and Contrast the Han and RomanEmpires in terms of their technological achievements
The Han Dynasty and the RomanEmpire are both similar and different in terms of their technological achievements. These two empires have set examples on how to be a flourishing, organized...
the Han Dynasty with the Fall of the RomanEmpire.
During the late Classical Period (200-600 C.E.), all the great empires collapsed. The collapse of the empires did not happen abruptly but was a process. The fall of the Han dynasty and the RomanEmpire showed similar characteristics. Both empires simply...
1. Between 550>400 BCE Confucius, Laozi, Buddha, Socrates
a. Need to articulate central values
B. How did they all unite?
1. China – more centralized
2. Mediterranean – more localized/diverse
3. India – key religious values – not as vulnerable to collapse – like Rome
How did Chinese culture, particularly Confucian philosophy, support the political structure of the Empire?
6) Why did the caste system develop and how was it perpetuated?
7) What differences between Indian and Chinese geography help explain differences in social and cultural patterns?
8) How did...
Differences and similaritiesbetween the Han and Romanempire
The Han and romanempires were two of the biggest and most culturally impacting empires in history. These two empires had many similarities in the rode to there success in was of trade and military. The same two empires, however, had many...