Drosophila melanogaster - Sex linkage and inheritance of genes through cross breeding
This experiment looks at the relationship between genes, generations of a population and if genes are carried from one generation to another. By studying Drosophila melanogaster, starting with a parent
A Study Of Inheritable Traits in Fruit Flies
The Drosophila melanogaster, more commonly known as the fruit fly, is a
popular species used in genetic experiments. In fact, Thomas Hunt Morgan began
using Drosophila in the early 1900's to study genes and their relation to
In biology, sex is a process of combining and mixing genetic traits, often resulting in the specialization of organisms into male and female reproductive roles. Sexual reproduction involves combining specialized cells (called gametes) to form offspring that inherit traits from both parents. Gametes
Blueprint of Life:
Gregor Mendel’s Experiments and the Inheritance of Characteristics
How and When Mendel carried out his experiments:
a. Briefly outline Mendel’s biography
• Gregor Mendel (1822-1884) was an Augustinian monk of Austrian origin and is known as the Father of Gen
First of all, I would like to express gratitude to God for all His Divine Guidance. Alhamdulillah, Biology course work was completed with inspiration, grace and guidance that has given him.
Peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad and o
AP Biology: Chapter 13 - Meiosis and Sexual Life Cycles
* The transmission of traits from one generation to the next is called inheritance, or heredity
* Along with inherited similarity there is also variation
* Genetics is the scientific study of heredity and hereditary va
The chromosomal basis of inheritance
1) Mendelian Inheritance has its physical basis in the behavior of chromosomes during sexual life-cycle.
2) Morgan traced a gene to a specific chromosome.
3) Linked genes tend to be inherited together because they are located on the
Mendelian inheritance (or Mendelian genetics or Mendelism or Monogenetic inheritance) is a scientific theory of how hereditary characteristics are passed from parent organisms to their offspring; it underlies much of genetics. This theoretical framework was initially derived f
Chapter 8 The cellular Basis of Reproduction Inheritance
Rain Forest Rescue
• Scientists in Hawaii are attempting to "rescue"
endangered species from extinction by
• Reproduction is one phase of an organism's
– Sexual rep
Mendelian Inheritance in Drosophila
Lab Report 1
In this experiment we are investigating the strength of the ratios discovered by Gregor Mendel in both the monohybrid and dihybrid cross. The ability to test these ratios stems from the use of Mendel’s law of segregation which...
1) Mendelian Genetics/ Mendelian Inheritance
2) Law of Segregation
3) Law of Independent Assortment
Mendelian inheritance was initially derived from the work of Gregor Johann Mendel published in 1865 and 1866 which was re-discovered in 1900. It was initially very...
Chapter 13 Meiosis and Sexual Life Cycles
Overview: Hereditary Similarity and Variation
Living organisms are distinguished by their ability to reproduce their own kind.
Offspring resemble their parents more than they do less closely related individuals of the same...
Principles of Inheritance and Mendelian Traits
First, a bit of Review…
• Remember the structure of DNA? • And how it relates to a GENE? • Check out the next slides to get a different perspective from your textbook on these concepts…
DNA : deoxyribonucleic acid
INTRODUCTION TO DROSOPHILA GENETICS
DROSOPHILA CULTURE We will study basic principles of Mendelian inheritance with the use of the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster [the name means “black-bodied fruit-lover”]. Drosophila was one of the first organisms to be studied genetically: its small size,
Baines Middle School
Instructor: Mrs. Magee
Level C Assignments (Knowledge /Understanding)
1. Read the following textbook sections and complete the section reviews at the end of each section
a. 16-1 pages 556-561 Due 12/16/08
b. 16-2 pages 564-569 Due 12/16
C H A P T E R
Introduction to Molecular Genetics and Genomics
1.1 DNA: The Genetic Material Experimental Proof of the Genetic Function of DNA Genetic Role of DNA in Bacteriophage DNA Structure: The Double Helix An Overview of DNA Replication Genes and Proteins Inborn Error
Biology Test- Chapter 11: Introduction to Genetics
Identify the choice that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1. Gregor Mendel used pea plants to study
b. gamete formation.
c. the inheritance of traits.
Biology Ch. 10 – Genetics 9.25 8
1) In 1860s, Gregor Mendel conducted experiments that
a) Confirmed assumption that each parent contributes equally to offspring
b) Refuted the blending theory of inheritance
c) Mendel proposed particulate theory of inheritance
i) Parents pass on discr
1. Explain through an example how the two general sets of factors, heredity and environment determine characteristics of an organism.
By Genetics, at its most fundamental level, inheritance in organisms occurs by means of discrete traits, called genes.
The flowers of each pea plant were either
Name: ________________________ Class: ___________________ Date: __________
Genetics test questions
Multiple Choice Identify the letter of the choice that best completes the statement or answers the question. ____ 1. Pea plants were particularly well suited for use in Mendel's breeding e