-cultural revival in Harlem called the Harlem Renaissance
-draws black artists to Harlem
-Langston Hughes and Louie Armstrong
-Harlem becomes a place of jazz
-white and black people start to co-mingle because of all of the culture
-started chicken and waffles
IB History of the Americas HL
7 November 2012
Paper 3 Guide: Mexican Revolution
Bullet Points: Defined and Summarized:
1. Causes of the Mexican Revolution: social, economic, and political; the role of the Porfiriato regime
* Porfirio Díaz was the dictator of Mexi...
Prehistoric Art Outline (History of prehistoric art)
1) Cave Art- is a term used to describe any kind of humanmade figure on the walls, ceiling or floor of a cave or rock shelter. The term is associated primarily with the wall art of the European Upper Palaeolithic, between 30,000 and 10,000 BC...
Chapter 24 – Summary
The late 18th century saw cultural change socially, economically, and musically: socially through the American and French revolutions, and the Napoleonic Wars; economically during the Industrial Revolution and the growth of the middle class; and musically led...
7) How and why did television shape the consumer culture of the 1950s?
Television shaped the consumer culture in the 1950’s because this is when the market for televisions became larger. As the number of households with televisions increased, the way the networks targeted the audience changed. Te...
Civil War Review:
Advantages and Disadvantages of South and North:
o Better army -> more attended military academy
o Needed help of Europe
o Less people, had to use slaves
o Political ideals of mover separated states -> divided power
o Couldn’t pay bills
o Top officers
*The Compromise of 1850*
- The first big problem was about California, which had been populated in 1849 as a result of the Gold Rush, and was applying for statehood with a free state constitution [since Congress couldn’t decide what to do, Taylor had told CA to apply for admission directly]....
Africa chapter 20
• Factories: forts and trading posts with resident merchants.
• El Mina (1482): Most important factory in the heart of gold-producing region of the forest zone.
• Nzigna Mvemba (r. 1507-1543): Ruler of Kongo. With help of missionaries brought the whole kingdom to Christian...
****The Second Examination will not cover the Great Depression and New Deal (chapter 24)
Questions that will be used to make the true/false and multiple-choice section of the Second Examination
This section will consist of 40 questions worth one point each
The large essay will be worth 35 points...
History 201 Test 3 Notes
1. XYZ Affair – In early 1797, Pres. Adams sent 2 diplomats, John Marshall & Elbridge Gerry to meet C.C. Pinckney in France to negotiate a treaty with France in order to loosen tensions. French Prime Minister Talleyrand sent 3 agents to meet with them. Talleyrand...
HISTORY OF ART NOTES
AGES OF GREECE
1000 BCE - early iron age
HEROIC AGE - war w/troy
800 BCE geometric art
Iliad & odyssey were written down
750-600 BCE - Age of colonization
-foreign influences - 150 years
-middle eastern artistic styles
600-480 BCE - archaic period
I. Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
A. Bio basics
1. Born in Eisenach (Luther’s hometown), he is the last of 8 kids.
2. Father probably taught him basics of violin, probably sang in the
church choir at the “Latin school.” Mother dies when he is 9,...
Jelly roll Morton
From 1904 to 1917 jelly roll moved around the south. He worked as a gambler, pool shark, pimp, comedian, and as a pianist. He was a very importand transitional figure between ragtime and jazz piano styles.
He played on the west coast from 1917 to 1922 and then moved to C...
Margin Review Questions
1. They established parts of Chinese life that lasted all the way into the 20th century. They were also the “golden age” of arts and literature because of their poetry, landscape, and ceramics along with the birth of Neo-Confucianism.
2. In the Tang Dynasty, elite women...
American History EOC Study Guide
1) Reconstruction: A plan to reconstruct the society after the Civil War. This divided the south (except Tennessee) into 5 military districts under the control of the U.S. Army. It was the attempt to reconstruct the south, readmit the southern states back into t...
Slavery ● Fort Jesus - portuguese built fort in 1593 located on Mombasa island, also a transit point for slave trade ● King Affonso - wrote letter to king of portugal in 1526 saying that his country is being corrupted and depopulated. Many people viewed slave trade as normal there though. ● Ef...
Growth of Employment
1. GI Bill of Rights
-The GI Bill of Rights encouraged veterans to get an education by paying a part of their tuition. It guaranteed 1 year's worth of unemployment benefits while a veteran was job hunting. It also gave out low-interest, federally guaranteed loans.
Chapter Five and Six – Enlightenment
What did Enlightenment thinkers think about government?
Most Enlightenment thinkers were more liberal than most people at the time. They were against absolute government and believed in the individual’s right to govern him/herself. Were against religiou...
8000 BCE- 2000 BCE:
River Valley Civilizations:
Mesopotamia, China, Egypt, and India were all river valley civilizations, meaning they arose in the valleys of major rivers. Mesopotamia arose on the Tigris and Euphrates rivers; china on the Yellow river; Egypt on the Nile riv...
Chapter 14 - The Civil War
The Secession Crisis
The Withdrawal of the South
* South Carolina voted Dec 1860 to secede, by time Lincoln came to office six more states (Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, TX) seceded
* Seceded states formed Confederate States of America Feb...