War in China
1839-1876- Tanzimet Era in Ottoman Empire
1848- Marx published the Communist Manifesto
1850-1864- Taiping Rebellion
1854- Matthew Perry's expedition to Japan
1857- Sepoy rebellion
1861- Abolition of serfdom in Russia
1861-1865- US Civil War
1868- Meiji Restoration in Japan
SNAPSHOTS: TEACHING COMPARE AND CONTRAST UNITS
Snapshots are all taken directly from the Advanced Placement Course Description for world history. In general they approximate most nearly the “Compare and Contrast” essay. They can be converted to “Change and Continuity over Time” essays
South and Southeast Asia
5. Compare and contrast the causes and results of two of the following revolutions?
6. Compare and contrast the causes and results of two of the following independence movements...
text and lectures in class. You will be required to answer two of the following.
1. Discuss the growth in imperialism from 1750 to 1900. Use examples from both Africa and Asia.
Imperialism: process by which one state, with superior military strength and more advanced technology, imposes its control...
Wars: Spanish Civil War (Francisco Franco, Comintern, Popular Front rebels, loyalists, republicans, nationalists) Vietnam, Korea, Chinese Civil War, India-Pakistan
← Total War: a conflict of unlimited scope, one side mobilizes all available resources (human, industrial, agricultural, military, natural...
10,000 years ago the Neolithic Revolution led to the development of more complex economic and social systems
2. Compare and contrast the locations of first Agricultural societies, the plants and animals they domesticated and their impact on the environment (Mesopotamia, Nile...
categorisation of Japanese rule in Korea? Identify some of the main differences between Japanese colonialism and Western colonialism. Illustrate your answer with examples.
Imperialism has existed for many years and has displayed many differing forms. It is a naturally occurring event that has a...
– THE FIRST RIVER-VALLEY CIVILIZATIONS, 3500–1500 B.C.E. .................................... 7
CHAPTER 3 – NEW CIVILIZATIONS IN THE EASTERN AND WESTERN HEMISPHERES,
2200–250 B.C.E. .......................................................................................................... 15
have fit together like a jigsaw puzzle! Remember that this study guide should be used for review; look at your own notes first. For the short answer responses, it should be you connecting to the information and adding insight to it with an argument, not memorizing the facts of a study guide. That’s the entire...
READING BENTLEY AND OTHER HISTORY BOOKS
Ling’s Advice: The textbook is your second teacher. As History is subjective, you want to compare and contrast the perspective of the textbook with the perspective of the lecturer so you can better form your own opinions. In History courses, it is more important...
1. Analyze the continuities and changes that resulted from the spread of agriculture beginning around 10,000 years
ago to 5000 years ago.
2. Compare the interaction between humans and the environment between two of the following types of societies
between 3000 B.C.E.
History of Western Philosophy, Bertrand Russell predicted that western
culture would eventually engulf and absorb all other cultures. Victor Davis Hanson in
Why The West Has Won claims that the 20th century has seen an erosion of the
cultural differences that impeded the adoption of a western outlook...
- No solid political system
- While China rose to power they did not believe in a certain god while India believed in many gods.
- Male dominated society, women had virtually no rights
Political – Caste System, Regionalism + diversity, Ashoka (grandson of Chandra Gupta, led...
CHINA, INDIA, AND JAPAN RESPONDS TO WESTERNIMPERIALISM
HIS 351 Asia in Age of Decolonization and Globalization
Westernimperialism or expansion ignored a country’s sovereign right to self-rule and independence from dominant foreign powers. Using the premise of colonization...
Ottoman Empire - Turks
Persia – modern day Iran
Songhai Empire – northwest Africa
Location of major states and empires in the Western Hemisphere
Incan Empire – western South America. Conquered by Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro
change an answer, be sure that the previous mark is erased completely. Here is a sample question and answer.
SAMPLE QUESTION SAMPLE ANSWER
A B D
Japan is a A. B. C. state. city. country.
AP WORLD HISTORY
Use your time effectively, working as quickly as you can without losing...
1. Mesopotamia , Egypt, Indus, Shang, Mesoamerica and Andean South America (Compare two)
1. Classical civilizations
1. Major political developments in China, India, and the Mediterranean
2. Social and gender structures
3. Major trading patterns within...
this essay will. Students will not only have to identify areas of change, but also areas of continuity across chronological periods, and will have to compare two or more chronological periods within one geographic area. Students will all have the same prompt but will be able to choose between different geographic...
British East India Company - was an early English joint-stock companythat was formed initially for pursuing trade with the East Indies, but that ended up trading mainly with the Indian subcontinent and China. The oldest among several similarly formed European East India Companies, the Company...