Register Number: 5753
Name of the Candidate:
M.A. DEGREE EXAMINATION, 2010
530. ROMANTIC AND VICTORIAN PERIODS
Nov] [Time : 3 Hours Maximum : 100 Marks
Answer any FIVE questions(5×8=40)
1. a)To me the meanest flower that blows can give
Thought that do often lie too deep for tears
b)And mid this tumult kubler heard from far
Ancestoral voices prophesying war!
2. a)Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter; therefore, ye soft pipes, play on;
b)Sore tasks to hearts wornout by many wars
And eyes dim with gazing on the pilot –stars
3. a)Ah! But a man’s reach should exceed his grasp,
Or what is heaven for?
b) Sitting upon the river bank O’ergrown:
Mark’d thine outlandish grab, thy figure spare,
Thy dark, vague eyes, and soft abstracted air.
4. a)No one ever regarded the first of January with indifference. It is that from which all date their time, and count upon what is left.
b)I feel no disposition to envy the mule for his plenty, or the mole for her exactness, in those ingenious labyrinthines inlets – those indispensable side- intelligencers.
5. a)“The public is just a great baby!”
b)But a book is written not to multiply the voice merely….. but to preserve it.
6. a)I’ve now realised for the first time in my life the vital importance of being earnest.
b)I don’t really know what a Gorgon is like, but I am quite sure that Lady Bracknell is one. In any case she is a monster, without being a myth.
Attempt the following in about 200 words each:
7. a)What is the view of life presented in “Chorus from Atlanta in Calydon”?
b)How does Thompson deal with the new idea of God’s quest for the human soul?
8. a)What does Ruskin say about books as better companions? What are the two kinds of books? Discuss.
b)How does Arnold analyse the history of English poetry?
Answer any THREE of the following questions(3×20=60)
9. a)Wordsworth’s “Immortality Ode” is a poem about growing up”- Do you agree? Elucidate your points.
b)Write an essay on Browning’s optimism as revealed in his poem “Andrea del Sarto”.
10. a)Anslyse Charles Lamb’s excellence as a writer who blends fact and fancy.
b)Sum up Coleridge’s argument in the Chapter XIV of Biographia Literaria
11. a)Examine the significance of the title Importance of Being Earnest
b) The love story of Raina and Bluntchli is the central interest of the play Arms and the Man – Evaluate.
12. a)Write an essay on the appropriateness of the title The Heart of Midlothian.
b)Narrate the love story of Jane and Bingley.
13. a)Describe the features of country life as it is portrayed in Silas Marner.
b)Comment on Hardy’s tragic version of life as presented in The Woodlanders.