MGMT 5083 Analysis and Design of Organization
Chapter 1 - S-S TECHNOLOGIES INC.
1. To acquaint students with the case analysis method.
2. To observe structural and contextual variables in an organizational situation. 3. To redesign an ongoing organization.
4. To develop organizational structure for innovative employees.
Like the Xerox case which opens Chapter 1, this case can serve as a point of reflection throughout the semester. More advanced issues regarding organizational structure (chapter 3), change (chapter 11), and compensation as a reward system (chapters 12 and 13) can be developed later.
SUGGESTED STUDY QUESTIONS
1. Analyze structural and contextual variables at the beginning of this case. (This can be done by referencing the textbook’s section of Dimensions of Organization Design, or by tabulating applicable dimensions as we did in the workbook activity.) 2. What are the goals, key success factors, culture, and people that SST top management want in place? 3. What goals, structure, and relationships do you believe are more appropriate for SST? 4. What process should be used to implement a new organizational design? 5. Are your recommendations different from what they would be if the employees were not motivated and innovative? Chapter 2. - THE UNIVERSITY ART MUSEUM
Assume the role of the dean in identifying the possible decisions before the next faculty meeting. They should generate two or three alternatives in answer to each of the first two questions. You can use the third question as the basis for class discussion.
1. What are the possible purposes of the University Museum?
2. Who are or should be its customers?
3. What implications for the structure of the museum, the qualifications of its director, and its relationship to the university follow from the above defined purposes and customers?
CASE FOR ANALYSIS ~ Airstar, Inc.
1. Is it appropriate for the company to use an internal or external focus?
2. Should the company emphasize stability or flexibility?
3. Based on your answers to the first two questions which approach to effectiveness (based on the model presented in class) should the company use? Chapter 3. - CASES FOR ANALYSIS ~
C & C GROCERY STORES, INC.
1. In general, how did C&C’s first organizational structure contribute to the store managers’ dissatisfaction? 2. What effect did it have had for store meat and produce managers to report to district specialists? 3. What structural problems contributed to the chain being slow to adapt to change? 4. Why was cooperation within stores so poor?
5. How would the proposed reorganization address the problems addressed in each question above? 6. What disadvantages might emerge over time with the proposed reorganization? 7. Given the advantages and disadvantages of each of the two structures, which would you adopt, and why? (Remember that no structure has only advantages, so if your discussion begins to take on that tone, broaden the input for a more well-rounded approach.)
CASES FOR ANALYSIS ~ AQUARIUS ADVERTISING AGENCY
1. Analyze Aquarius with respect to the five contextual variables. How would you describe the environment, goals, culture, size, and technology for Aquarius?
2. Design a new organization structure that takes into consideration the contextual variables in the case and the information flows in Exhibit 3.22.
3. Would a matrix structure be feasible for Aquarius? Why or why not?
Is there a dual domain competitive issue?
Is the environment uncertain
Is there a need to share resources across project or product lines?
Chapter 4 - CASE FOR ANALYSIS ~
THE PARADOXICAL TWINS: ACME AND OMEGA
1. What are the goals at Acme? At Omega?
2. What impact do top mangers have on these goals? Discuss. 3. Are these goals to be achieved...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document