Chapter 1 – Five Years Later
1. What interval of time has passed since Dr. Manette’s release? 2. Describe the interior of Tellson’s Bank and its employees. 3. Who is the odd – job man of Tellson’s Bank? What does he do? 4. How did Mr. Cruncher refer to the year? (Anno Domini)
5. What hint is given as to Mr. Cruncher’s night occupation? 6. Describe Mr. Cruncher’s treatment of his wife.
7. Of what did his business stock consist?
8. What further hint is given by young Jerry as to his father’s night occupation?
Chapter 2- A Sight
1. What is Old Bailey?
2. What is Tyburn?
3. Describe the entrance of the prisoner.
4. Describe the prisoner.
5. What is the charge against him?
6. What is the prisoner’s name?
7. Give an account in detail of the charges against him. 8. Who in the court- room attracts the notice of the prisoner?
Chapter 3- A Disappointment
1. What is the name of the man who revealed the prisoner’s guilt? 2. Note the questions asked of Robert Cly.
3. What is Mr. Lorry’s testimony?
4. What is the effect of Miss Manette’s testimony?
5. What coincidence arises in the midst of the trial?
6. What is its effects?
7. Who is the man involved?
8. What is the effect of this action brought about by the prisoner’s lawyer, Mr. Stryver? 9. What hint of Jerry Cruncher’s night occupation is mentioned? 10. What does Mr. Stryver prove to the jury?
11. What is the outcome of the trial?
12. Had has Carton been affected by Miss Manette’s faintness?
Chapter 4 – Congratulatory
1. Why did Dr. Manette look so strangely at Mr. Darnay after the trial? 2. What is Sydney Carton’s attitude toward Lucie Manette?
Chapter 5 – The Jackal
1. Explain the title of this chapter.
2. What is the relationship between Mr. Stryver and Mr. Carton? 3. Describe Carton’s method of working.
4. Has Mr. Stryver, too, become interested in Lucie Manette? 5. Is Sidney Carton at all regretful of his wasted life?
Chapter 6 – Hundreds of People
1. What is Dr. Manette’s means of support?
2. Who frequently visits the home of the doctor and Lucie? 3. What reminder did Dr. Manette keep of his days in captivity? 4. Describe Miss Pross.
5. What s she upset about?
6. How did Miss Pross and Mr. Lorry Feel about Dr. Manette keeping his work bench and tools? 7. Did the “Hundreds of People” appear at the home?
8. Recount the incident about the Tower.
9. What effect is produced by the account of the footseps being heard? 10.
Chapter 7 – Monseigneur Town
1. What idea of conditions in France do we get from the description of the Monseigneur? 2. How are conditions in France emphasized by the description of the Farmer – General? 3. What heartless cruelty is described in connection with the Marquis? 4. What intended comfort did DeFarge give the father?
5. What idea of compensation did the Marquis have?
6. What effect is produced by the presence of Madame Defarge with her knitting?
Chapter 8 – Monseigneur in the Country
1. What evidence of poverty is shown?
2. What request of Monseigneur is made by the poor woman? 3. Is her request granted?
4. Relate the incident of the road mender.
5. About whom did the Monseigneur inquire as he reached the door of his chateau?
Chapter 9 – The Gorgon’s Head
1. What is a gorgon?
2. Describe the relationship between Charles and his uncle. 3. Is Charles in sympathy with the deeds of his family?
4. What is the effect of their discussion on the uncle?
5. Exactly what takes place at the end of the chapter?
Chapter 10 –Two Promises
1. What is Charles Darnay’s occupation in England?
2. How successful is he?
3. Note his conduct in his interview with Dr. Manette in which he declares his love for Lucie. 4. Does Dr. Manette respond favorably to Mr. Darnay?
5. Does Dr. Manette wish...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document