A Personalised Induction Will Always Be More Effective. Discuss

Topics: Logic, Preference, Authoritarianism Pages: 10 (2715 words) Published: January 22, 2012
Essay 2
A Personalised induction will always be more effective. Discuss

(Word count = 2198)

In this essay I will describe what a personal induction is and how it is composed then discuss the reasoning behind why they may be more effective for clients seeking change via hypnosis rather than using standard generic inductions. I will also look at some of the potential issues surrounding personal inductions before drawing a conclusion.

But first we need to look in a bit more detail as to how they work and why they may be helpful in helping the client achieve their aim.

It is has been stated that when we communicate with people only 7% of the communication is made up from the words we speak and the remaining 93% is made up of the tone and volume of the words (38%) and our body language (55%) (Chrysalis, Module 2). Although commonly quoted these figures are in fact quoted out of context from the original two limited experiments undertaken by Albert Mehrabian et al in 1967. If this were so then we should be able to understand someone communicating with us in a language we do not speak, which is not the case. However the three elements do pay a role in how we communicate with each other just not in the ratio outlined.

As we know people are complex individuals. We view, make sense of and interact with the world around us all in slightly different ways. These differences are due to a number of internal and external processes that occur from the moment we enter the world and continue to develop, hopefully, until we leave it.

External information from our environment reaches our brains via our 5 main senses, or sensual modalities. These are visual (sight), audio (hearing), kinaesthetic (feeling), olfactory (smell) and Gustatory (taste). This inflow of information from the five modalities is in turn monitored and filtered by the brain, most likely by our subconscious mind due to the volume of input, and anything that requires our attention is flagged up to the conscious mind so that we can take the necessary action/non-action required. I use the term non-action here to distinguish between something the subconscious mind views and flags as a threat that requires immediate action and something that on reassessed by the conscious mind, overridden no action required (e.g. being surprised by your son with a rubber snake!).

“The Psychology of Personal Constructs” (Kelly 1955), a theory of how personalities develop, describes how we may interpret reality through an internalised process called "constructs", these are units of interpretation which serve as templates, or filters, for how we look at, and make sense of the world and how we can use these to predict future events.

Some of these constructs may very well be intrinsic and hard wired into our subconscious from birth, like a fear of snakes or of heights which could be construed as common sense phobias and linked to our natural survival instincts.

However most of the constructs that we use to make sense and judge the things around us, and our reactions to it, are developed over time as we learn to interact with our environment, and by our own experimentation, living in it.

These internal constructs are shaped by external influences, our cultural up bringing, our language and by our past experiences. For example I have a fear (Not really a phobia!) of going to the dentist, this is based on my early experiences as a child, before the introduction of the high speed drills and latest anaesthetics, being told it would not hurt. Then realising, during the actual procedure, I had been lied to and it did!

It is these internal constructs, our likes and dislikes, our internal generalized assumptions and our prejudices, which develop differently within us over time so that each individual construes reality differently, even when placed in the same objective circumstances, that generate our view of the individual personality.

Use of Modalities in...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • A Personalised Induction Will Always Be More Effective Essay
  • “a Personalised Induction Will Always Be More Effective”. Discuss. Essay
  • “a Personalised Induction Will Always Be More Effective”. Discuss. Essay
  • 'a Personalised Induction Will Always Be More Effective'. Discuss. Essay
  • A personalised induction will always be more effective Essay
  • A Personalised Induction Will Always Be More Effective? Essay
  • A Personalised Induction Will Always Be More Effective Essay
  • “a Personalised Induction Will Always Be More Effective” Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free