This entry contains an assortment of free PDF-related software.
Free Software to read pdf files: Windows
Foxit PDF Reader. A free reader/viewer/printer for PDF documents. Unlike Adobe® Reader, this one is approximately 2.9MB and opens up almost immediately. It is free for non-commercial use.
Nitro PDF Reader. A free reader/viewer/printer for PDF documents. You can read, edit, create and save PDFs, without crippleware features or adware. It is beta software. It is free for both commercial and non-commercial use, however the EULA prohibits automated deployment. Summary of features. Lifehacker review. Video Summary of features (YouTube).
Sumatra PDF is a free, open-source PDF viewer for Windows. This one is approximately 1.1MB designed to be slim.
STDU viewer is a free PDF viewer for Windows. The installer is 1.6 MB. It supports multiple tabs. It also supports other file formats such as XPS. Its search function displays all instances of the search term in a single list. It is free for non-commercial use.
Free Software to create pdf files: Windows
Each of the following programs installs as a printer on your system. To create a pdf, you simply write to the pdf printer (from word, excel, or any program that supports printing). Each product is free for personal use. Most are free for commercial use.
• PDFCreator. PDFCreator is an open source program from SourceForge.
• PrimoPDF. Read this page for information on commercial use.
• CutePDF Writer. Supports 64-bit Windows.
• BullZip PDF Printer. There is a limitation on bullzip: for commercial use the freeware version can only be used for up to 10 users.
• doPDF. Supports 64-bit windows. Installer is approximately 1.5MB.
Free software to convert pdf files to Word format: Windows
• Free PDF to Word Doc Converter. The program can extract text, images, shapes from PDF file to Word Doc file and preserve the layout. It can convert all the pages, or any pages range of the PDF file.
Other notable pdf software: Windows
• 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF. This is available to users of Genuine Windows running Office 2007. One benefit of this product over the converters listed above is that it preserves hyperlinks and bookmarks, and will automatically build bookmarks from headings. This is now included by default as of Office 2007 Service Pack 2.
• OpenOffice.org is a complete and multi-platform office suite that writes documents, spreadsheets and presentations to pdf. OpenOffice is open source and can be used for personal or commercial use, without restriction.
Software to manage pdf documents: Windows
• PDFTools. It can encrypt, decrypt, join, split, stamp, create and rearrange a PDF file. Some of the options for splitting files seem more flexible than PDFill PDF Tools.
• PDFill PDF Tools. PDFill PDF Tools are FREE PDF Toolbox to Merge, Split, Reorder, Encrypt, Decrypt, Rotate, Crop, Reformat, Header, Footer, Watermark, Images to PDF, PDF to Images, Form Fields Delete/Flatten/List, and PostScript to PDF.
• PDF Split and Merge. Open source java-based PDF split and merge utility.
• Gios PDF Splitter And Merger. Another open source PDF split and merge utility.
• PDFTK Builder. Rearrange, collate, split, watermark and password protect PDF documents. Also available as a portable application. This is open source software.
Software to edit pdf document properties: Windows
• PDF Info. With this program, you can change PDF document properties, including author, title, subject, keywords, creator, and producer information. You can even add or remove hidden information.
• A-PDF INFO Changer. A-PDF INFO Changer is a very simple tool, that lets you edit the properties of a PDF file, including author, title, subject and keywords.
Miscellaneous pdf software: Windows
• PDF-XChange Viewer. A pdf viewer that includes the ability to...