It was the month of October. The weather was delightfully cool. I was sleeping soundly. All of sudden, I was disturbed in my sleep by loud cries of ‘fire ,fire’. I sprang out of window. I was people with pails and buckets, running out of the burning house. On enquiry, I learnt that the palatial double-storeyed house of my neighbour, Mr. Sharma , was on fire. I ran downstairs with a bucket. I no time, I reached the place of occurrence.
It was a heart-rending sight. The newly-built house of my neighbour was all ablaze. The serpent-like flames were rising to the sky. A strong wind was fanning the flames. The people were throwing water and sand over the flames. The neighbours’ family was crying. Tongues of the flames seemed to lick the ceiling of the second storey.
I rang the fire brigade. Soon the fire brigade was heard rushing to the place. The fire brigade people, wearing fire proof uniforms and steel helmets on their heads, started playing the hoses on the flames and also on the adjoining houses to isolate the fire. The fire engines pumped water to a great height. They fought hard with the flames. After two hours’ of hard and strenuous efforts, they succeeded in bringing the fire under control. The flames gradually died down. All heaved a sigh of relief. The people expressed gratitude to the firemen. Some firemen received minor burns and injuries.
The beautiful house of my neighbour was reduced to a heap of ashes. There was terrible loss of property but fortunately no loss of life. Mr. Sharma and his wife looked pale and teary. They had suffered a huge loss. The loss was estimated to be 1 crore. The cause of the fire was found to be short circuit. I prayed that may God give them strength to bear that huge loss.