* Barry Bonds Steroid Use
* By 2001, when Bonds broke Mark McGwire's single-season home-run record (70) by belting 73, Bonds was using two designer steroids referred to as the Cream and the Clear, as well as insulin, human growth hormone, testosterone decanoate (a fast-acting steroid known as Mexican beans) and trenbolone, a steroid created to improve the muscle quality of cattle. * http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/03/06/news.excerpt/
* How, if at all, can we determine when it’s acceptable to enhance your performance?
Breaking Down Key Terms:
* 1st Term: “Performance”
* Performance- The process, manner, and quality of functioning * The performance being analyzed in this discussion is in three different areas: Athletic, Academic, and Social.
* 2nd Term: “Enhance”
* Enhance-to intensify or increase in quality, value, and power.
* 3rd Term: “Performance Enhancer”
* Historically a performance enhancer is basically a synonym for drugs, most of the time steroids. However, if you take the first two definitions and apply them to create a new one, a performance enhancer is really anything that increases of intensifies the quality of functioning. * The major problem with this though is that almost anything an athlete or academic does could be considered performance enhancing. * Athletes- a specific diet, a certain coach, certain equipment, and a specific sleep schedule can all be factors that enhance or hurt your performance. * Academic- The simple fact of you having more money than someone else in order to hire a top-notch tutor could be a form of performance enhancing. Also, drinking coffee, and eating certain food to stimulate the brain is all considered performance enhancing? * The main problem is where to draw the line, and what is considered ethically immoral.
* 4th Term: “Acceptable”
* Acceptable-judged to be in conformity with approved usage....