[pic] [pic] [pic]
Feb 11, 2013
Let there be color and light
• Began in the Renaissance era
• Born in Paris, France in the early 1860s
• It's purest form lasted only until 1886
• Departed from tradition by rejecting the renaissance (balanced composition, idealized figures, and chiaroscuro). • Represents immediate visual sensation through color and light • Created with a distinctive short, choppy, brushstroke. Creating a mosaic of irregular strokes. • Style is called impressionism because artists weren't trying to make a realistic painting. • Paintings aren't focused on the center but more so the main subject to the side.
Original artists: Manet, Monet, Renoir, Degas, Pissarro, Sisley, Morisot, Cassatt.
Subjects: Outdoors, seaside, Parisian streets and cafes.
Purpose: To portray immediate visual sensations of a scene.
• Claude Monet
• Pierre-Auguste Renoir
• Edgar Degas
• Édouard Manet
• Camille Pissarro
• Vincent Van Gogh
• Paul Cezanne
• Mary Cassatt
• Berthe Morisot
• Valentin Serov
"I became a painter and wound up as Picasso"
• Born October 25, 1881 in Malaga, Spain.
• His full name which honours a variety of relatives and saints is; Pablo Diego Jose Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno Maria de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santisma Trinidad Clito Ruiz y Picasso. • Best known for his Cubism
• Cubism; broke up forms to recombine shapes in new ways. • For 80 years, Picasso devoted himself to an artistic production that contributed significantly to and paralleled the whole development of modern art in the 20th century. • Blue period lasted from 1901-1904; This was his first distinct...