The Legislative Branch is given the powers to make the laws. It has the following checks over the Executive Branch:
* May override presidential vetoes with a two-thirds vote
* Has the power over the purse strings to actually fund any executive actions
* May remove the president through impeachment
* Senate approves treaties
* Senate approves presidential appointments
The Legislative Branch has the following checks over the Judicial Branch:
* Creates lower courts
* May remove judges through impeachment
* Senate approves appointments of judges
Checks and Balances of the Executive Branch
The Executive Branch is given the power to carry out the laws. It has the following checks over the Legislative Branch:
* Veto power
* Ability to call special sessions of Congress
* Can recommend legislation
* Can appeal to the people concerning legislation and more
The Executive Branch has the following checks over the Judicial Branch:
* President appoints Supreme Court and other federal judges
Checks and Balances of the Judicial Branch
The Judicial Branch is given the power to interpret the laws. It has the following checks over the Executive Branch:
* Judges, once appointed for life, are free from controls from the executive branch
* Courts can judge executive actions to be unconstitutional through the power of judicial review
The Judicial Branch has the following checks over the Legislative Branch:
* Courts can judge legislative acts to be unconstitutional.
To prevent one branch from becoming supreme, protect the "opulent minority" from the majority, and to induce the branches to cooperate, government systems that employ a separation of powers need a way to balance each of the branches. Typically this was accomplished through a system of "checks and balances", the origin of which, like separation of powers itself, is specifically credited to Montesquieu.... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 08). Xjfk. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 08, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Xjfk-1876725.html
"Xjfk" StudyMode.com. 08 2013. 2013. 08 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Xjfk-1876725.html>.
- MLA 7
"Xjfk." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 08 2013. Web. 08 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Xjfk-1876725.html>.
"Xjfk." StudyMode.com. 08, 2013. Accessed 08, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Xjfk-1876725.html.