In my (admittedly limited) experience on this planet, I have found that the only remedy for ignorance is knowledge. Therefore, I have put together this little project for my most knowledgeable students (read: “you”), to combat the rather astounding tide of ignorance that surrounds the theory of evolution in this country.
Here’s how it’s going to go down:
1. Pick a common misconception from the list below.
a. The Earth is not billions of years old
b. Humans evolved from monkeys.
c. Evolution is a random process.
d. Evolution is “just a theory”
e. Speciation has never been observed in the lab or in the environment. f. Evolution is incompatible with religion.
2. You will research the misconception. You should answer the following questions with your research: a. Why is this a misconception about the theory of evolution? b. What does the theory of evolution actually say about the topic you are researching? c. What evidence does biological science or the natural world at large offer to contradict this misconception?
3. You will independently write a short paper (no shorter than 2, double spaced pages, no more than 3 pages) exploring the misconception within the framework of the questions outlined above.
4. You must source your paper correctly, properly attribute all information that you have researched and include a works cited list at the end of your paper (APA format).
5. Each paper will be judged for its clarity (spelling and grammar), relevance, logic, depth, and fairness found in the assigned subject
You will have to turn your paper to www.turnitin.com by 6pm on 5/10/12 and bring a paper copy to class on 5/11/12.