Writing Skills Part 2
1. Which sentence best describes clustering?
A. You write down words or ideas that occur to you in no particular order. *B. You're generating words that suggest possible sentences or paragraphs. C. You write down words or ideas in chronological order.
D. You're generating words that suggest possible themes for an essay.
2. Which of the following would be an appropriate way to add variety to your sentences?
A. Use more close-up words.
B. Make your sentences read like a spoken conversation.
C. Add personal anecdotes.
*D. Use questions and answers together.
3. Which one of the following sentences or phrases is most likely to be considered a cliché?
A. How dead is a dead doornail?
B. Are you a man or a moose?
C. When in doubt, pout.
*D. Look before you leap.
4. To put abstract ideas into close-up words, use _______ descriptions. A. impersonal
5. Of these four words, which one is most likely to have a negative flavor?*A. Harangue
6. Which of the following words is most likely to carry a connotation?
7. Read the word in parentheses; then decide which of these sentences most effectively translates an abstract concept into a mental picture.
A. (Freedom) On her twenty-first birthday, Lola declared herself a woman. *B. (Rumors) Whispers of doubt filled the empty halls like the reek of boiled cabbage. C. (Sunrise) The rising sun transformed the canyon into bright stone and deep shadow. D. (Studious) Lucy lay on her bed reading a back issue of National Geographic.
8. Which of the following statements about vocabulary building is not correct?
*A. The best way to improve your vocabulary is to memorize lists of vocabulary words. B. Using the dictionary is only one step in the process of vocabulary building. C. Pronunciation is an...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document