When you have completed your exam and reviewed your answers, click Submit Exam. Answers will not be recorded until you hit Submit Exam. If you need to exit before completing the exam, click Cancel Exam. Questions 1 to 20: Select the best answer to each question. Note that a question and its answers may be split across a page break, so be sure that you have seen the entire question and all the answers before choosing an answer.
1. Which of the following would be an appropriate way to add variety to your sentences? A. Add personal anecdotes. B. Use questions and answers together. C. Use more close-up words. D. Make your sentences read like a spoken conversation.
2. Which of the following statements about vocabulary building is not correct? A. The best way to improve your vocabulary is to memorize lists of vocabulary words. B. Reading on a daily basis is very important for building your vocabulary. C. Using the dictionary is only one step in the process of vocabulary building. D. Pronunciation is an important part of adding new words to your vocabulary.
3. To put abstract ideas into close-up words, use _______ descriptions. A. general B. faraway C. impersonal D. concrete
4. Increasing your vocabulary means
A. you'll write more lively sentences. B. you'll be able to spend more time reading. C. you'll spend less time on revision. D. you'll write longer sentences.
5. Which one of the following statements about making your writing fun to read is not correct? A. Give your writing a personal touch by showing that you're interested in your subject. B. An anecdote or humorous quotation is often more convincing than a strong argument. C. The conversation you write must sound natural for the characters. D. Direct quotations should be reserved for characters in stories.
6. Which statement is most accurate regarding the speaking-writing connection? A. Written words seldom reflect the words people...