When you have completed your exam and reviewed your answers, click Submit Exam. Answers will not be recorded until you hit Submit Exam. If you need to exit before completing the exam, click Cancel Exam. Questions 1 to 20: Select the best answer to each question. Note that a question and its answers may be split across a page break, so be sure that you have seen the entire question and all the answers before choosing an answer.
1. Which one of the following sentences or phrases is most likely to be considered a cliché? A. Are you a man or a moose? B. How dead is a dead doornail? C. When in doubt, pout. D. Look before you leap.
2. Of these four words, which one is most likely to have a negative flavor? A. Meander B. Harangue C. Confound D. Distract
3. Which of the following statements about vocabulary building is not correct? A. Pronunciation is an important part of adding new words to your vocabulary. B. The best way to improve your vocabulary is to memorize lists of vocabulary words. C. Reading on a daily basis is very important for building your vocabulary. D. Using the dictionary is only one step in the process of vocabulary building.
4. Read the word in parentheses; then decide which of these sentences most effectively translates an abstract concept into a mental picture. A. (Sunrise) The rising sun transformed the canyon into bright stone and deep shadow. B. (Studious) Lucy lay on her bed reading a back issue of National Geographic. C. (Rumors) Whispers of doubt filled the empty halls like the reek of boiled cabbage. D. (Freedom) On her twenty-first birthday, Lola declared herself a woman.
5. When using direct quotations in your writing, which of the following should be placed outside the set of quotation marks? A. Semicolon B. Period C. Comma D. Question mark
6. Which of the following words is most likely to carry a connotation? A. Walk B. Stand C. Stride D. Run
7. When we speak of the flavor of...