TMA 02: Outline who the Winners and Losers are in Consumer Society
Material needing to be referenced and read:
* Learning Companion 2
* Chapters 1, 2 and 3 of ‘Making Social Lives’
* Assignment Booklet pages 18 to 20
* Preparing for Assignments – Developing Skills Audio CD
* Evidence in the Social Sciences – Audio CD 1
* Rubbish Society – Audio CD 1
* Making connections: economics and politics – Making connections Audio CD
* Reflections on Material Lives – Audio CD 1
* Allen, J. (2009) ‘One-stop shopping: the power of supermarkets’ in Taylor, S., Hinchcliffe, S., Clarke, J. and Bromley, S (eds) Making Social Lives, Milton Keynes, The Open University.
* Bauman, Z. (1988) Freedom, Milton Keynes, Open University Press.
* Susman, W. (2003) Culture as History, Washington, DC, Smithsonian Books.
* Veblen, T. (1899) The Theory of the Leisure Class: An Economic Study in the Evolution of Institutions, New York, Macmillan.
* Wrong, D. (1997) Power: Its Forms, Bases and Uses, New Brunswick, NJ, and London, Transaction Publishers
* Bevan, J. (2006) Trolley Wars: The Battle of the Supermarkets, London, Profile Books.
* Rimmer, H. (2009) Friends of the Earth, Online Activity 9, Open University Website
Explain the definition of Consumer Society and outline what I would like to achieve in this essay.
The ‘seduced’ and the repressed using the example of a Retail Park
Veblen and Sussman – Conspicuous consumption and performing-self
Buying power of Supermarkets and the demise of the small shop
Zero-Sum and Positive-Sum Game.
Outline what has been discussed and draw a conclusion
Ensure correct referencing format is adhered to and make sure that all short references are noted (as long references)... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 02). Winners and Losers in Consumer Society. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Winners-And-Losers-In-Consumer-Society-590852.html
"Winners and Losers in Consumer Society" StudyMode.com. 02 2011. 02 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Winners-And-Losers-In-Consumer-Society-590852.html>.
"Winners and Losers in Consumer Society." StudyMode.com. 02, 2011. Accessed 02, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Winners-And-Losers-In-Consumer-Society-590852.html.