General Purpose: To inform
Specific Purpose: To inform my audience about Whitney Houston.
Attention Getter: I have often been told I have a beautiful voice; most people compare me to Whitney Houston….maybe even better.
Credibility: Whitney Houston has always been of my favorite artists.
Topic Reveal: Today I am going to tell you a little about the life of Whitney Houston.
Preview Statement: After discussing my three main points, you will understand why she is one of my favorite artists. My three main points are her early years and being discovered, her fame, and the end of her career.
I. Whitney Houston had the mentality of becoming a singer since birth.
A. Whitney was born August 9, 1963 in Newark, New Jersey.
1. Everyone she was brought up around had some kind of musical talent.
2. Her mother was the choir minister, which is where Whitney started.
3. Her cousin Dionne Warwick and her godmother Aretha Franklin were both in the music industry also.
B. Whitney was working on her own record deal at the age of 15.
1. While working on her record deal she was also being discovered by a photographer.
2. She later became a teenage model.
3. Becoming the first African American women to appear on the cover of Seventeen Magazine.
C. By the time she reached age 19, Whitney was discovered by Clive Davis.
1. He took her from the gospel stage to the pop life.
2. In 1983, Whitney was appearing on TV shows and performing. (Transition: Now that we know a little about Whitney’s early years and how she was discovered, let us talk about her fame.)
II. It was then all about the money and fame.
A. It did not take much before Whitney became a big sensation.
1. In 1985, she released her debut album Whitney Houston.
2. A year later the fame and the Grammy’s started rolling in.
3. She released her second album Whitney that went platinum and won Grammy’s.
B. Everything that...