Ads by Google
What is a Reading Response Essay?
A Reading Response essay:
* Summarizes what you read.
* Gives your reaction to the text.
Your reaction will be one or more of the following:
* Agreement/disagreement with the ideas in the text.
* Reaction to how the ideas in the text relate to your own experience. * Reaction to how ideas in the text relate to other things you've read. * Your analysis of the author and audience.
* Your evaluation of how this text tries to convince the reader and whether it is effective. I have a sample of a Reading Response paper below. See also Reading Response Example Paper, Summary Analysis Response (which adds both analysis of the writing as well as response). For help with revising your paper, see myWriter's Evaluation and Peer Editing Worksheet. Two other Reading Response examples are How to Become a Republican and Summary Analysis Response Sample. Tips for Writing Response Essays
Reading Response essays require organization and clear evidence from the text. Source: VirginiaLynne, CC-BY, via HubPages
Writing College Essays is easier with clear instructions.
Source: VirginiaLynne, CC-BY, via HubPages
How long does your instructor give you to write each essay?
Top of Form
* one week
* two weeks
* three weeks
* longer than 3 weeks
* it varies
Bottom of Form
See results without voting
Reading Response Introduction and Conclusion Ideas
frame story: start a story (personal or in reading)| Finish the story| expectations fulfilled: tell what you expected or thought before reading the essay| tell how the reading met your expectations| expectations unfulfilled: tell your expectations| tell how these were overturned or changed| Questions: ask one or more questions about topic| answers to questions| Startling statistic or fact| How reading helps us understand or interpret fact or statistics| vivid description of subject with sensory images| tell how reading helps us understand description| scenario: show a typical scene or conversation relating to topic (real or made up)| finish scene or conversation or repeat it with a different ending| What we all know about topic (statements most people believe)| What is really true| Quote or famous saying| How quote explains your thesis|
Response Reading Help: Instead of "Jones says," you can use: said| concludes| defines|
explains| elucidates| repeats|
tells us| reports| argues|
deduces| analyzes| suggests|
warns| advises| investigates|
asks| points out| comments|
agrees| inimated| implies|
hints| proposes| informs|
quips| questions| denies|
reassures us| demands| declares|
remarks| relates| mentions|
cautions| reveals| objects|
insists| chides| pleads|
6 Responding Essay Ideas
Here are six different ways to respond to an essay:
1. You can agree with the article and explain three or more reasons why you agree. 2. You can disagree with the article and explain three or more reasons why. 3. You can agree with some parts of the article and disagree with other parts and explain why. 4. You can analyze the rhetorical situation (occasion, purpose, audience, and context) of this article and explain why the author’s personal experience causes them to write this piece. 5. You can take one part of the essay (agreeing or disagreeing with it) and expand on that idea, giving reasons for the reader to agree with you. 6. You can explain your reaction to the article and then analyze how the writer’s style, tone, word choice and examples made you feel that way. Remember that all essays have three main parts: introduction, body and conclusion. There are many ways to write a good essay, but I will give you a general guide to follow which will help you to organize...