MGT 105.94; Principles of Management
Unit 1 Homework Assignment
Management leading & collaborating in a competitive world (Bateman & Snell)
Text p. 43 Discussion Questions 2, 4, and 6
2) What is scientific management? How might today’s organization use it?
According to (Bateman & Snell) scientific management approach advocated the application of scientific methods to analyze work and to determine how to complete production efficiently. There are four principles:
1) Management had to develop a scientific approach of each part of the job and this would replace the traditional general guidelines.
2) Management would have to select, train, teach and develop each employee, so that the right person was in the right job.
3) Management should work closely with their employees so that each job matches the plans and principles.
4) Management should make sure work is divided or delegated from manager to employees.
Organizations today can use Taylor’s scientific management to streamline their roles within an organization. Develop and train people to be subject matter experts, this will in turn put the right people in the right job. The downside to this though is that people may lose interest in their jobs, become bored, thus production will decrease.
4) What are the advantages and disadvantages of a bureaucratic organization?
The advantages of a bureaucratic organization is that each role is standardized, if there are any personnel changes there is very little effect to that organization. It fosters specialized skills, which then eliminate the immanent judgment by managers. If followed correctly all people, whether it be employee or customer are treated equally. The disadvantage of a bureaucratic organization is that departments that have a need for quick response and flexibility will suffer, and may not be able to accomplish their... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 03). What Is Scientific Management? How Might Today's Organization Use It?. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 03, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/What-Is-Scientific-Management-How-Might-609964.html
"What Is Scientific Management? How Might Today's Organization Use It?" StudyMode.com. 03 2011. 2011. 03 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/What-Is-Scientific-Management-How-Might-609964.html>.
- MLA 7
"What Is Scientific Management? How Might Today's Organization Use It?." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 03 2011. Web. 03 2011. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/What-Is-Scientific-Management-How-Might-609964.html>.
"What Is Scientific Management? How Might Today's Organization Use It?." StudyMode.com. 03, 2011. Accessed 03, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/What-Is-Scientific-Management-How-Might-609964.html.