* The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is an organization of 187 countries, working to foster global monetary cooperation, secure financial stability, facilitate international trade, promote high employment and sustainable economic growth, and reduce poverty around the world.
Key IMF Activities
The IMF provides policy advice and financing to members in economic difficulties and also works with developing nations to help them achieve macroeconomic stability and reduce poverty.
Marked by massive movements of capital and abrupt shifts in comparative advantage,globalization affects countries' policy choices in many areas, including labor, trade, and tax policies. Helping a country benefit from globalization while avoiding potential downsides is an important task for the IMF. The global economic crisis has highlighted just how interconnected countries have become in today’s world economy.
Key IMF activities
The IMF supports its membership by providing
* policy advice to governments and central banks based on analysis of economic trends and cross-country experiences;
* research, statistics, forecasts, and analysis based on tracking of global, regional, and individual economies and markets;
* loans to help countries overcome economic difficulties;
* concessional loans to help fight poverty in developing countries; and
* technical assistance and training to help countries improve the management of their economies.
The IMF was founded more than 60 years ago toward the end of World War II. The founders aimed to build a framework for economic cooperation that would avoid a repetition of the disastrous economic policies that had contributed to the Great Depression of the 1930s and the global conflict that followed.
Since then the world has changed dramatically, bringing extensive prosperity and lifting millions out of poverty, especially in Asia. In many ways the IMF's main purpose—to provide the global public... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 12). What Is Imf. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/What-Is-Imf-1276236.html
"What Is Imf" StudyMode.com. 12 2012. 12 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/What-Is-Imf-1276236.html>.
"What Is Imf." StudyMode.com. 12, 2012. Accessed 12, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/What-Is-Imf-1276236.html.