1. Define toponym:
2. Identify four ways in which places can receive names
3. Identify three reasons for which places sometimes change names
4. Define site:
5. List some site characteristics.
6. Complete the following sentence about site:
Human actions can ______________ the characteristics of a site. Two examples of this are:
7. Define situation:
8. What role do familiar places have understanding situation of unfamiliar places?
9. What place is designated as 0 degrees longitude?
10. What is the name for the line drawn at 0 degrees longitude?
11a. How is a degree of longitude or latitude further subdivided?
11b. Give an example.
12.(Fig. 1-13) How many degrees of longitude do you need to travel across to pass through one “hour” of time (or one time zone)?
13. How many time zones are there?
14. What is the longitude of the International Date Line?
16. Using the map on p. 18:
• Draw the Prime Meridian and International Date Line.
• Shade and label all countries (or regions) which use non-standard time zones.
• Label the country which has forced the 3000 mile deviation of the Prime Meridian.
● REGIONS: AREAS OF UNIQUE CHARACTERISTICS
16. A region is an area of Earth defined by one or more characteristics. A region derives its unified character through the cultural landscape – a combination of 6 cultural features:
17. One contemporary (current) approach to studying the cultural landscape is called the regional studies approach.
a. What do geographers who adopt this view believe regarding regions?
b. Which American geographer is most known for defining cultural landscape?
18. Geographers using the regional studies approach argue that that distinctive landscapes of different regions result from what two things?
Cite This Essay
(2013, 09). Wertyuij. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Wertyuij-1925924.html
"Wertyuij" StudyMode.com. 09 2013. 2013. 09 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Wertyuij-1925924.html>.
- MLA 7
"Wertyuij." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 09 2013. Web. 09 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Wertyuij-1925924.html>.
"Wertyuij." StudyMode.com. 09, 2013. Accessed 09, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Wertyuij-1925924.html.