General Purpose: To deliver an epideictic speech
Specific Purpose: To deliver a wedding toast for my sister, Candace
Central Idea: Glenn is a perfect match for Candace and he will make a wonderful addition to our family
1. To those of you who may not know me personally, my name is Amy, and I am Candace’s little sister. I’d like to thank the bride and groom for welcoming us all to share with them this day that they will remember forever.
I. How they met
1. As you may know, Candace and Glenn met using an online dating site. When she first told me she was going to try this I was skeptical. What do you think of when you think of online dating? Ridiculous personality questionnaires and bad, awkward first dates pop into my head. But as a sister it was my job to be as supportive as I could.
2. After only a couple weeks, she told me she had been talking with someone named Glenn and that she was going on a date with him that coming weekend
3. Although I was still skeptical, I could tell she was happy and I was very happy for her. However, like any good sister would, I let her know that I’d be sitting by my phone waiting to fake an emergency for her if the date wasn’t going well.
4. Fortunately that wasn’t necessary, and the day I met Glenn I saw why.
II. Glenn and the Cole family
1. The first time we met Glenn was pretty shy. He didn’t say much but as the night went on and he started to warm up I could tell that we were going to get along just fine.
2. As time went on and his relationship with my sister got more and more serious I got to know him a lot better.
3. After a while he started to take on a sort of brotherly role in my life.
4. I remember the day of my senior prom I got a text from Glenn as I was getting ready. It said “Be careful tonight. If you need a ride home call me.” To you that may seem insignificant, but Glenn was aware of the traditions following prom in my...