An Overlooked Nutrient |
Lena Lockhart |
Health Wellness and Nutrition
"Water: An Overlooked Essential Nutrient."
My name is Lena Lockhart, and I have been asked to present arguments for your firm on the differences between water, and sports drinks Gatorade and PowerAde. I have found some interesting information, and this paper will present my findings. I am sure that this will be an informative look at the various ways of hydrating your body and help you to make a decision on what is best for you at any particular moment.
It is recommended that an adult drink eight to ten eight-ounce glasses of water a day. Athletes and active teens should drink at least ten to twelve glasses of water daily. However, many foods and beverages contain water, which can make up part of this daily intake. Fresh fruits and vegetables, cooked vegetables, canned and frozen fruits, soups, stews, juices, and milk are all sources of water. Most fruits and vegetables contain up to 90 percent water, while meats and cheeses contain at least 50 percent. (http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Smi-Z/Water.html#ixzz1Zf5TnTk9)
Nutrient content and benefits of consuming water
The nutrients sometimes found in drinking water at potentially significant levels of particular interest are:
• Calcium – important in bone health and possibly cardiovascular health
• Magnesium – important in bone and cardiovascular health
• Fluoride – effective in preventing dental caries
• Sodium – an important extracellular electrolyte, lost under conditions of excess sweat
• Copper – important in antioxidant function, iron utilization and cardiovascular health
• Selenium – important in general antioxidant function and in the immune system
• Potassium is important for a variety of biochemical effects but it is usually not found in natural drinking waters at... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 09). Water, and Overlooked Essential Nutrient. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Water-And-Overlooked-Essential-Nutrient-1096097.html
"Water, and Overlooked Essential Nutrient" StudyMode.com. 09 2012. 2012. 09 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Water-And-Overlooked-Essential-Nutrient-1096097.html>.
- MLA 7
"Water, and Overlooked Essential Nutrient." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 09 2012. Web. 09 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Water-And-Overlooked-Essential-Nutrient-1096097.html>.
"Water, and Overlooked Essential Nutrient." StudyMode.com. 09, 2012. Accessed 09, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Water-And-Overlooked-Essential-Nutrient-1096097.html.